Fast User Switching enabled, but no Switch User button?

dferrara
Contributor II

Hi all,

I have Fast User Switching enabled via config profile in our lab environment, using the built-in options in the JSS. I've got full names appearing in the upper right corner, but when a logout timer or Screen Lock occurs there's no Switch User button, only "Cancel", forcing users to hard reboot...

I read elsewhere that FUS should enable the "Switch User" functionality.

Did something change with Yosemite? I'm running 10.10.5 and 9.65.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Just tested it on my Mac, FUS enabled, joined to AD, switch user available on the lock screen. Connected to Casper on 9.73.

Is it the same if you manually enable the option in System Preferences?

kly
New Contributor

Hi dferrara

If you have one local account on the computer. Mac OS will think there is no need for switch user button to be enabled.. If you have 2 local accounts the Switch User button will become available.

It will also work if you create the second local account hidden as well.

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Try this as well.

/usr/bin/defaults write /Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences MultipleSessionEnabled -bool TRUE

dferrara
Contributor II

@kly Many many thanks. I think this is exactly what was happening. I have one local account, and bound to AD.

@Kumarasinghe Thank you! I will try this too and see if it makes a difference.

@davidacland Thanks David, do you have a local account on those? If not that would explain it. Looks like I need a second (hidden) account.

Will report back with the solution, but my deep thanks to you all, school is just starting for us and I have hundreds of students logging in. A very happy Labor Day to you!

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yep, I've got two, my account and the JSS admin account. Although the JSS admin account is hidden with a UID of 80. Might be worth adding a second account, then seeing if it stays when you delete it.