Finding OS Updates issues after misconfiguration of Nudge

Jacek_ADC
Contributor

Hi folks,

last friday I created the new config for the latest Big Sur 11.6.3 update but unfortunately I forgot to correct the year in the deferal window. So I set the requiredInstallationDate to 2021-02-04T00:00:00Z. The impact was, that the window opened and popped each 30 seconds new, until i unscoped the config for the MacBooks.

Now I run in the problem that the affected macbooks cant find any softwareupdate. It doesnt play a role which way we try. 

Already tried to search trough the appstore, terminal with --fetch-full-installer. The MacBooks stays in the finding loop for multiple hours. 

On one MacBook i deleted everything what have to do with nudge. Restarted the MacBook multiple times but the issue still persist. Anyone an idea how to solve this issue? 

Since this issue last friday, the macbooks also lost the connection to jamf Pro Cloud what is really strange.

Thanks in advance,

4 REPLIES 4

JRM5513
New Contributor III

I had the same issue, I don't think it's nudge related. It's more like an Apple bug. I wrote a little script to kill/restart several softwareupdate services. Use it at your own risk. 

#!/bin/bash

pid1=$(pgrep SoftwareUpdateNotificationManager)
echo "$pid1"

pid3=$(pgrep com.apple.preferences.softwareupdate.remoteservice)
echo "$pid3"

pid4=$(pgrep com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.CleanupPreparePathService)
echo "$pid4"

pid5=$(pgrep com.apple.MobileSoftwareUpdate.UpdateBrainService)
echo "$pid5"

if [ "$pid1" = "" ]; then
echo "pid1 is empty"
else
kill -9 "$pid1"
echo "pid1 was killed"
fi

if [ "$pid3" = "" ]; then
echo "pid3 is empty"
else
kill -9 "$pid3"
echo "pid3 was killed"
fi

if [ "$pid4" = "" ]; then
echo "pid4 is empty"
else
kill -9 "$pid4"
echo "pid4 was killed"
fi

if [ "$pid5" = "" ]; then
echo "pid5 is empty"
else
kill -9 "$pid5"
echo "pid5 was killed"
fi

launchctl kickstart -k system/com.apple.softwareupdated
echo "com.apple.softwareupdated kickstarted"

exit 0

Hi jeremyb and thank you very much. I tried to kill also all the processes with policys and also with the restricted software. But never successfully.

Will give them a try.

Fluffy
Contributor III

You may want to follow this thread. I am in the process of testing this to see if any of our devices are affected.

Hi Fluffy

Thank you very much.