Flash Drive Tools for Admins

niacobelli
New Contributor III

I didn't know how to title this discussion, but I'm trying to simplify my troubleshooting of Mac and Jamf issues in our bring your own device environment. What tools, programs, scripts, etc would you always have loaded onto a flash drive to make your workflow easier and more streamlined?

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Nick

4 REPLIES 4

connor
New Contributor III

Hey Nick,

We mainly keep some of the following
- Certs that can be installed via pkg (A requirement for our network)
- Malware Bytes!
- Disk Checking app (My fav is Grand Perspective
- Bash and Applescripts for clearing caches, installing apps, installing updates etc
- Testing media like (family friendly) movie trailers and sounds - We also have a few that are bootable installers

We are a BYOD school to but the students aren't enrolled into our JSS, mainly mac based though so this can still be useful.

Hope some of that is useful!

Connor

walt
Contributor III

One of our ideas we are currently crafting is moving all of our tech tools into self service where we can login as a serviceadmin or tech and run or download a tool or script. We will have external media as a second choice.

We’re also looking for ideas on which tools, scripts, etc would be most useful

kerouak
Valued Contributor

onyx..

Excellent disk utility...

And, it's all free to use, even in enterprise!!

damienbarrett
Valued Contributor

Every year or so, I build a few "Tools" external HDs. For awhile, I've been using the 256GB SSD-based Lacie Rugged ones (they are orange). Fast SSD. Fast bus -- both USB3 and Thunderbolt. For USB-C machines, I just use an adapter.

I install a full known-good (KGB) OS based on the whatever version of the OS we are currently supporting -- 10.12 right now. I'm currently in the middle of building a 10.14 one with compatible versions of the must-have Apps that I install in the tech user on the OS:

• DiskWarrior 5.2
• TechTools 10
• Prosoft DataRescue
• Memtest
• Current Jamf tools

Once I have built one and tested it out, I make a .dmg of it and save it on one our server sharepoints for backup. Then I use Disk Utility to restore the .dmg to more HDs and then hand one out to each of my technicians. The password is simple and easy to remember. This provides them a known-good OS to boot from and allows them to run utilities. DiskWarrior has saved many a damaged file system at my workplace. TechTool is a little less useful but still decent. Prosoft DataReRescue has indeed recovered accidentally deleted files.

None of this is say that this will be a valid path forward, given the rise of T security chips, firmware checks, and APFS. Stop in and ask me in a few weeks as I suss out how well my 10.14 Tools drive functions in this new environment into which Apple is thrusting us.

Oh, each HD is partitioned into two partitions: one for the boot OS and one for Storage. The storage partition is used to recover data to, and also holds copies of our commonly-used installers, as well as validated copies of each of the OS X installer apps since Lion 10.7.

1d687f986c3b414daed299c7a97b5da0