Flip4Mac settings

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Wanted to know if anyone here is managing Flip4Mac

I wanted to enforce these Flip4Mac browser plug-in settings under System Preferences -> Flip4Mac on all 10.9.5 clients we support
- enable "Launch Flip Player"
- enable "Always show movie controller"

I have found out that it uses a plist net.telestream.wmv.plugin.plist. I created a profile out from the plist and I can see that it is pushed out to the clients under the path /Library/managedpreferences but it does not set the above.

Flip4Mac version is 3.0

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Thank you for all your inputs on this thread.

The only thing that I did not try was to reboot. I found out that it takes a reboot in order for the plist/changes to take effect. Profile does not work as it can't be pushed on the users' preferences.

I was able to manage it by pushing the plist as a package to copy the plist on ~/Library/Preferences/.

I have to copy as well the plist on /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences in order for the plsit to work on guest account - again reboot is needed as soon as you copy the plist.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The settings above, from what I can tell, are user specific settings, as in the plist they actually get written to is located within the user's home directory under ~/Library/Preferences/
Is your configuration profile being pushed as system level or user level? It might need to be the opposite of whatever it was deployed as.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Yep, if using a config profile, that needs to be user level.

The old tried-and-true package-as-a-DMG/use Fill User Template/Fill Existing Users also works...

--Robert

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Thank you for your suggestion. I will have to try this profile though on a per user basis. I have configured the profile per system level. Funny as i wanted as well to turn off prompting of updates for flip4mac and i was successful using net.telestream.wmv.plist as a profile pushed per system level. Will a profile work on a guest account?

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Just to report back.

I've created a new profile out from the net.telestream.wmv.plugin.plist and pushed it per user basis and this did not do anything. The profile is there but no effect on the settings. I've also tried defaults write command to set the settings and same thing does not do anything.

The profile did not install as well on the guest account.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

What about FEU/FUT? Does pushing the net.telestream.wmv.plugin.plist file to existing users/the user template work?

Be aware of cfprefsd preference caching tripping you up if on Mavericks or later...

philcebutv
New Contributor III

Thank you for all your inputs on this thread.

The only thing that I did not try was to reboot. I found out that it takes a reboot in order for the plist/changes to take effect. Profile does not work as it can't be pushed on the users' preferences.

I was able to manage it by pushing the plist as a package to copy the plist on ~/Library/Preferences/.

I have to copy as well the plist on /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences in order for the plsit to work on guest account - again reboot is needed as soon as you copy the plist.