Follow Me Papercut Printing

cbanfield0818
New Contributor II

Hello everyone,

I tried searching but with limited success. We use a follow me queue on campus so users can print to any printer by logging into their account on the printers.

The manual way we add this printer is but going to printers and scanners in system preferences and then adding the advanced button. In here we have to type smb://username:password@printsau/followmemaincampus and the type is windows printer via spoolss.

When I try to do this via JAMF I have no luck.

Any help or direction to a posting that may exsist on this would be awesome.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

I use papercut. Printers are hosted on windows server 2008 r2. I use scripts to fully automate the installation.

#!/bin/sh
lpadmin -p "NYC-CKPrint" -E -v smb://servername/printersharename -m "/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Canon iR-ADV C7200s GX400V1.0US" -L "New York Papercut Print Server" -o auth-info-required=negotiate -o printer-is-shared=false

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@cbanfield0818 Are your Macs bound to Active Directory and your users using AD logins? And is your PaperCut printer server running Windows Server with Unix (lpd) Print Services enabled? If so, you can add a printer configured for lpd using the IP address of your server (without the username:password) and specifying the PaperCut queue name, and the Mac will provide the AD credentials of the logged in user when print job is sent to the server. Since you don't have a username:password embedded in your printer config you can use Jamf Pro to deploy it.

cbanfield0818
New Contributor II

Awesome thanks guys!

We had Enterprise Connect come and setup Enterprise Connect so we are not binding anything.

After they setup there stuff, for whatever reason, I was able to use JAMF pro to add the printer with no issues.

sroller
New Contributor

I prefer @tnielsen's solution, but you can also install the printer object on a machine and capture it with Casper Admin, then deploy with a jamf pro policy.

fgonzo
New Contributor

@sdagley

Can you provide where in Jamf you deploy printers like you mentioned?

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@fgonzo Here's the general outline:

1. You create the printer in the Printers & Scanners panel of System Preferences
  2. You run Jamf Admin and use the Add Printers... command under the File menu capture the printer you created in Step 1
  3. You create a Policy in your JSS with a Printers payload that specifies the printer object you created in Step 2, and you deploy that policy to any Macs you want the printer on