Force Self Service Mobile to reinstall on iOS

hookb
New Contributor

Hey there just had a quick question that I've tried looking around for without any luck. Right now I have my iPads locked down with a Homepage Restriction to set the Dock a certain way. Unfortunately this also makes it so you can't create folders and uninstall apps easily. I don't care so much about locking down the rearranging of apps and uninstalling but that is just a side effect of the dock restriction. My question is if I take off the homepage restriction and allow my staff/students to make folders and uninstall apps how can I force the Self Service Portal to reinstall or can I block the ability to uninstall just a certain app?

7 REPLIES 7

Krbonus
Contributor

What I do is I have a smart group called "iPads without Self Service installed" then scope Jamf Self Service to that smart group. That way, if an iPad's Self serv gets uninstalled, that iPad will be added back to that Smart group.

I hope that helps.

Krbonus
Contributor

Criteria: App name does not have Self Service AND Model like iPad.

luke_reagor
Contributor II

In Settings -> Self Service, we have our iOS Self Service set to manual so we can control the installation like any other app.
In the VPP section of the app, we have the app set as Device Assignable. Then we simply scope it to 'All Mobile Devices' and set it to 'Install Automatically'.
We don't need a smart group since we are not watching to see how many don't have it.

tdilossi
Contributor

I have all of the above, but add this little app configuration so our users don't have to authenticate to self service when it auto re-installs.

<dict>
<key>INVITATION_STRING</key>
<string>$MOBILEDEVICEAPPINVITE</string>
<key>JSS_ID</key>
<string>$JSSID</string>
<key>SERIAL_NUMBER</key>
<string>$SERIALNUMBER</string>
<key>DEVICE_NAME</key>
<string>$DEVICENAME</string>
<key>MAC_ADDRESS</key>
<string>$MACADDRESS</string>
<key>UDID</key>
<string>$UDID</string> <key>JSS_URL</key> <string>https://YOUR JAMF ADDRESS HERE:8443/</string>
</dict>

luke_reagor
Contributor II

Good point, @tdilossi. We do the same thing with our app config.

hookb
New Contributor

Awesome thank you for all the responses! I will look more into this but I think these will def. help with our issues.

Krbonus
Contributor

@tdilossi fairly new to Jamf, when you say 'users don't have to authenticate to self service when it auto re-installs' what did you mean exactly?

Thanks