Forcing Device names during Prestage Enrolment

simon_brooke
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I had an issue before with a limit of how many entries you can have in the Mobile Device Names of the prestage enrolment (500). Anymore and you cannot scope anymore devices into the prestage enrolment. Even if you have not enrolled 500 devices or even close to it. I know there is a 10 000 limit of the number of devices in a single prestage enrolment.

Each prestage will eventually have over 5000 devices in a few years.

My questions are.

1. If i have to use MUT to rename the devices, is there anyway to rename devices in a smart group.

2. If there is some way around the 500 rename limit in the prestage enrolment, if a device is wiped and re-enrolled into the smae prestage enrolment, will it get the same name as before.

Thanks in advance

Simon

3 REPLIES 3

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II
  1. You could export the smart group to a CSV, and with either the JSS ID or the Serial number in the 1st column and the name in the 2nd column you could use The MUT.

2. If I remember correctly, setting your PreStage to anything other than 'Default Names' sends a rename command. But if you set it to 'Default Names' it won't do an initial Name, and will remember the previous name that you were enforcing and set the name to what it was before.

Do some testing, and hope this helps.

nigelh
New Contributor III

Can you tell us how the "default names" option creates the device name?
EDIT: sorry - I see you have explained it in your post!

cgalik
Contributor
But if you set it to 'Default Names' it won't do an initial Name, and will remember the previous name that you were enforcing and set the name to what it was before.

That's a great tip! Usually when I'm mass-enrolling devices in the summer, I have to wait around for the initial rename before I can use The MUT to push the names I want. I will have to adjust my prestage enrollments accordingly. Thanks!