FUBAR Test Mac

gskibum
Contributor III

I have a Mac that I use for testing policies etc. It has three volumes; a master OS source volume, a destination OS test volume that is imaged from the master, and a utility volume I boot to to erase & clone to the destination volume.

When I decide to start fresh, using the JSS I normally remove the MDM and delete the computer before erasing & re-cloning the volume I use for testing.

However this Mac has stopped appearing in Smart Groups (after reenrolling it in the JSS). I have erased and re-cloned it a few times as well as erasing it and reinstalling from a Netinstall server.

It doesn't even appear in the "All Managed Clients Smart" Group (Criteria: OS not like "server" and Application Title is not "Server.app.")

However it does appear in computer searches.

A couple of weeks ago I did accidentally enroll this Mac when booted into the Utility volume I use for cloning. I have removed the profiles in System Preferences but that has not worked. I have also run jamf removeFramework on the utility volume. But still no luck.

Other devices enroll normally. It seems to be just this one Mac.

Any ideas out there in JAMF-land?

The OS version is Mavericks 10.9.5. I was using JSS 9.5.2. Just upgraded to JSS 9.6 with no change.

Thanks!

Edit: I also flushed logs in System Settings.

4 REPLIES 4

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III
I normally remove the MDM and delete the computer before erasing & re-cloning the volume I use for testing

By this, do you mean you delete the computer record from the JSS, or just that you delete the OS and reclone it over?

It doesn't even appear in the "All Managed Clients Smart" Group.... However it does appear in computer searches.

Sounds like its in the JSS as an unmanaged asset. Only a properly managed system can appear in Smart Groups, but they will show up in regular searches. When you pull up the computer record, have you checked to make sure its showing as Managed, or Enrolled in the details of the record?

If you aren't already deleting it from the JSS, or haven't done that yet, I would try deleting it completely when you locate it via search, then go through enrollment again on the Mac and see if it starts to appear in Smart Groups. Its possible the record in the JSS is just messed up from so many repeated re-images and enrollments.
The only downside to deleting and re-enrolling clean is that it will get a new JSS ID. This might mean re adding the new record into any policies that it was previously scoped to.

gskibum
Contributor III

Thank you for the reply mm2270.

It is with the JSS that I am removing the MDM and delete the device, after doing a search to find the device.

I have also tried reenrolling it without un-manging it.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Odd then. Not really sure. Have you checked to see if it appears as "Enrolled" when you look at the computer record details? I'm just curious if its somehow never becoming properly enrolled again.

gskibum
Contributor III

Yeah it's completely wacky packages. It does properly show the correct enrollment time(s).

I have a VPN configuration that gets installed upon enrollment, and that works on this device. So does my Yosemite restricted software record.