FYI - Firefox 34.0.5 and CCK 2 AutoConfig Files

tim_c_arnold
New Contributor

Firefox 34 handles the CCK AutoConfig Files differently than previous versions. Once the AutoConfig files are generated you will need to place them in different places than just /Applications/Firefox/Contents/MacOS/

The "cck2.cfg" file and the "distribution" directory should be placed in

/Applications/Firefox/Contents/MacOS/

Then place the "Defaults/prefs/autoconfig.js" file in

/Applications/Firefox/Contents/Resources/defaults/prefs/

46 REPLIES 46

apizz
Valued Contributor

Apparently this is a known thing - Since Firefox 40 it appears the distribution bundles are gone. Got these links from Kaply support in just a few minutes after posting a ticket.

https://mike.kaply.com/2015/05/19/distributionbundles-directory-gone-in-firefox-40/
https://mike.kaply.com/2015/06/16/cck2-2-1-is-officially-available/

dilan
New Contributor III

Thought I'd respond here with a screen shot of how the new CCK2 deploys now that dist. bundles are gone.

Tested with Firefox 43.0.3

From the autoconfig output, you will get a folder with the following folder/files:

browser (folder)
cck2 (folder)
cck2.cfg (file)
defaults (folder)

1.) Inside the browser folder, you will have a file named "override.ini". Move this file into /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/browser
2.) Move the entire cck2 folder into /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources
3.) Move the cck2.cfg file into /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources
4.) Inside the defaults folder you will see another folder named pref and inside that folder you'll have a file named "autoconfig.js". Move this file into /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/Resources/defaults/pref

You could most likely take all the files/folders listed above and drag and drop. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overwriting anything that I hadn't looked at first. Screenshot below.

41375ebeb4a04dee8b0e05c4453c05a2

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for posting this info - This is what I have been doing as well.

You could most likely take all the files/folders listed above and drag and drop

Bad idea - as Macs overwrite on a copy, you'd be erasing data. You need to do a 'merge' copy. The 'browser' directory and defaults/prefs directory have data in them you'd be erasing with a drag-n-drop copy.

MarcosMunoz
New Contributor III

In version 45 (using CCK2), a "browser" folder is no longer generated.

MarcosMunoz
New Contributor III

In version 45 (using CCK2), a "browser" folder is no longer generated.

makander
Contributor

Anyone here that got it to work with FF 50.1 and CCK 2.2.1?

I've been trying to chuck the files into the FF folder like @dilan suggested, but I keep getting errors saying that it's damaged when I try to start the application.

EDIT: Tried the ESR release instead, worked fine then. I should be using ESR anyway so disregard this post.

discounteggroll
New Contributor III

I was able to use CCK 2.2.2 to lock down extensions/add-ons from being added on 50.1.0 (non-ESR), however existing ones are still present and functional. Any ideas on how to handle those?