Getting lost in all these options... imaging version VS Os version

jmercier
Contributor II

Hi... i have been through all kind of testing... with all weird results...
We are deploying only 10.9 base image with packages to be installed at first boot
Server mac 10.10.3 with server 4.1

casper imaging 9.7 with netboot 10.10.2 : once a while was getting the Adobe temp and nothing was installing... but 75% of the time imaging was working...

casper imaging 9.72 with netboot 10.10.2 : almost only adobe temp now... OR stays at black casper installing screen and nothing happens for hours...

casper imaging 9.72 with netboot 10.10.3 : no block copy so very long... and at the end... i see the iCloud login thing... and nothing happens after = adobe temp account.

VERY.... frustrating... is there a working workflow with this ? thinking of switching product or workflow to manage our computers...

i can provide all kinds of testing and configurations ... need help

15 REPLIES 15

nessts
Valued Contributor II

if it were me I would ssh to the machine during its first boot and check the logs see whats hanging where and why. Also, why not netboot from a 10.9.5 to do the install?

jmercier
Contributor II

if i netboot with 10.9.5... is this going to work on brand new machines ? macbook pro and new imacs ? Don't think so...

nessts
Valued Contributor II

In your post ...

We are deploying only 10.9 base image with packages to be installed at first boot

if you indeed are deploying to the new generation macbook pro or macbook a 10.9.x image that is your problem. Best way to find out if those machines are going to run a 10.9.x image is to netboot off of it first.

As much as I would like to blame JAMF most of the time when firstboot breaks it is my fault. athough 9.6-9.7 were JAMFs fault.

jmercier
Contributor II

for that point your right... most of our computers working with 10.9... but we have few machines with 10.10... thats why i went with 10.10 netboot...

your saying i should try back with

casper imaging 9.72 and netboot 10.9.5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

@jmercier I'm confused. Are you saying you have some Macs that need to boot from 10.10, but you are trying to image them to 10.9.5?

jmercier
Contributor II

@mm270

no... macs that need to boot 10.10 i image 10.10....

most of the macs we have can boot of 10.9... but with a 10.10 netboot im getting all kinds of problems.

nessts
Valued Contributor II

well it certainly will not hurt to try and netboot from 10.9 and install a 10.10 image, i have my imaging guys installing from 10.9.5 machine via target mode imaging and it works fine.

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I'm not certain it was fixed in 9.72, but I do know that 9.7 and 9.71 had issues where machines would login to the Adobe Temp user and hang there. See this discussion:

Here

Rolling back Casper Imaging to 9.65 fixes that issue. You might try that, just putting 9.65 on your NetBoot image.

jmercier
Contributor II

@stevewood your saying that i could have the JSS running 9.72... but having my casper imaging 9.65 on my netboot image to fix that adobe temp problem ?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@jmercier yes, that is correct. Your Casper Imaging app does not have to match your JSS version.

jmercier
Contributor II

@stevewood thanks a lot...

other question...after imaging... it goes at black screen casper installing bla bla bla...

Then i have a policy that runs for all computers at first boot... binding to AD et doing other stuff... was working fine before with no problem... can this policy interfere with the hole process ?

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

@jmercier The normal process imaging with Casper Imaging follows:

• CI lays down configuration and reboots computer
  • Casper first boot screen comes up while computer is enrolled in JSS and any packages marked "Install on boot drive after imaging" are installed. Computer reboots.

As long as your policy is set to run with a trigger of "Enrollment Complete" I don't see it being a problem. I'm not certain if a "Startup" policy would work simply because the machine is not enrolled in the JSS until the Casper Imaging screen comes up. But yeah, your policy should not interfere.

jmercier
Contributor II

just to let everyone know... i checked in my logs... and i get this now...

Device Signature Error - A valid device signature is required to perform the action.

on every package to be installed at first boot

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@jm016385 That could be that the time is not being set correctly on the Mac. Are you updating/setting the time?

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Yep, there are a number of threads dealing with the Device Signature error. Depending on the macs being imaged this may have to do with recon not being able to complete as the network interface discovery may not have happened by that time. This happens primarily on units imaging via thunderbolt to ethernet adaptors. There's some good info in this thread

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10875

but there are many others.

Also, regarding the iCloud login screen. I've seen this using a 10.10.3 NBI running Casper Imaging 9.72. If I leave it, the adobe tmp account will plow through it after a min. or two and run whatever installers are necessary. At least in my experience. I tend to prefer leaving the iCloud login prompt for our users so it's something I've kept a close eye on.