Giving User access to Casper Admin Management Framework Under Setting in JSS

Boughen
New Contributor

Any advice would be greatly received...

I have a user in a remote site that needs to see the Casper Admin Management Framework Under Settings in our JSS, but I do not want to grant full management to the user.

Can anyone point me to the correct combination of access Privileges to grant this? As I can't seem to...

Thank you, Neil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

What exactly do you want them to be able to see in the web app?

Edit: Looking at what you wrote again, I'm thinking what you're looking for is for the user to be able to see the "Casper Admin" item under the Settings tab. Is that right? Because that's the closest thing to a Casper Admin Framework I know of.

If so, unfortunately, the only way to do this is to give them access to "Use Casper Admin" under the Casper Admin privileges, BUT you also need to give them Save privileges there as well. Without it they won't see it at all. That means they can change your configs, categories, and other stuff. There is no Read only access to Casper Admin in the JSS available right now. The physical app can be controlled, but not the web view.
They'd also need to be able to View the Settings tab further up the list.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

What exactly do you want them to be able to see in the web app?

Edit: Looking at what you wrote again, I'm thinking what you're looking for is for the user to be able to see the "Casper Admin" item under the Settings tab. Is that right? Because that's the closest thing to a Casper Admin Framework I know of.

If so, unfortunately, the only way to do this is to give them access to "Use Casper Admin" under the Casper Admin privileges, BUT you also need to give them Save privileges there as well. Without it they won't see it at all. That means they can change your configs, categories, and other stuff. There is no Read only access to Casper Admin in the JSS available right now. The physical app can be controlled, but not the web view.
They'd also need to be able to View the Settings tab further up the list.

Boughen
New Contributor

Cheers!

PeterClarke
Contributor II

Yes - It's NOT clear exactly what you want them to be able to do...

I have had some sort of vaguely similar requests..

I set up a set of test accounts on the server e.g: Test-Read-Only
and for that account, set the minimum access rights.

Privileges: View Inventory Tab -- nothing else
API Privileges: None

That allows the inventory to be inspected, without the ability to make any changes.
(Note it does not allow them to view details on inventory items)
------------------

A better explanation / examples of what settings can be used for / useful configurations, would be useful.
While the attribute names are reasonably self explanatory, theres still a degree of doubt about exactly what is the minimum set you might need for some purposes.

In the cases where I have needed to do this I have always created a special-purpose test account, with strictly limited access rights - that I could use to test out the changes.

More access requires more rights, with some settings users gain access to make changes.
if you do anything, Test, test, test. to check it does what you wanted and not something else.

I understand that a later upcoming version of casper may have some more granular controls.