GPG suite deployment

Harrie
New Contributor III

Hi Guys

Who has GPG suite deployed and can help me with it?
There is not much to find on jamfnation, and am not sure if there is a silent installer.

thnx in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

abuehler
New Contributor III

Hey Harrie

This thread is already a bit older. But maybe my answer will still help someone in the future 🙂

In my search for a possibly better solution for rolling out the GPG Suite, I came across your question.
Apparently this suite doesn't really seem to be represented on Jamf Nation, so I'd be happy to explain how we handle it in our company.

Unfortunately, the framework is not that great, as the developer does not use a standard flat PKG and is not very MDM-friendly. For example, it is not possible to distribute the licence key via MDM. Unfortunately, this makes patch management quite difficult.

Our workflow is therefore quite simple:
I always download the latest version of the GPG Suite from the website (there are about 2-3 versions per year, so it's not a big deal).
I open the downloaded DMG, copy the PKG it contains and rename it, e.g. "GPG_Suite-2021.2.pkg". Otherwise, leave the package unchanged and upload it to Jamf Pro.

When running the policy in Self Service for installing the GPG Suite then does the following:

1. The above-mentioned PKG is installed.
  2. A PostInstall script is executed which installs the licence key.
  3. Apple Mail is opened and the user is asked if he wants to activate the GPG Mail plugin. As far as I know, this cannot be activated automatically. So, a completely silent installation does not seem to be possible at this time.

So far, this is the best workflow I could work out.
I have made the mentioned PostInstall script available on GitHub:
https://github.com/adibue/Jamf-Pro-tools/tree/main/GPG%20Suite

Hope this helps 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

abuehler
New Contributor III

Hey Harrie

This thread is already a bit older. But maybe my answer will still help someone in the future 🙂

In my search for a possibly better solution for rolling out the GPG Suite, I came across your question.
Apparently this suite doesn't really seem to be represented on Jamf Nation, so I'd be happy to explain how we handle it in our company.

Unfortunately, the framework is not that great, as the developer does not use a standard flat PKG and is not very MDM-friendly. For example, it is not possible to distribute the licence key via MDM. Unfortunately, this makes patch management quite difficult.

Our workflow is therefore quite simple:
I always download the latest version of the GPG Suite from the website (there are about 2-3 versions per year, so it's not a big deal).
I open the downloaded DMG, copy the PKG it contains and rename it, e.g. "GPG_Suite-2021.2.pkg". Otherwise, leave the package unchanged and upload it to Jamf Pro.

When running the policy in Self Service for installing the GPG Suite then does the following:

1. The above-mentioned PKG is installed.
  2. A PostInstall script is executed which installs the licence key.
  3. Apple Mail is opened and the user is asked if he wants to activate the GPG Mail plugin. As far as I know, this cannot be activated automatically. So, a completely silent installation does not seem to be possible at this time.

So far, this is the best workflow I could work out.
I have made the mentioned PostInstall script available on GitHub:
https://github.com/adibue/Jamf-Pro-tools/tree/main/GPG%20Suite

Hope this helps 🙂

Harrie
New Contributor III

@abuehler thnx I'll try that