Great Session- Could I ask a few follow up questions?

nickgab
New Contributor

I attended this session and it was full of information that has been very useful. I wrote down as much as I could but was hoping I could get a little help from others that attended. I was hoping someone could tell me the sequence of hard-wiring the ipad for internet connection? I know that it involved usb->ehternet and a camera adapter. I also was hoping to get an example of the profiles used to restrict games, social media, etc. which also includes sending an email to IT and lock into a single app mode? We attempted this last year but it slowed down our JSS so much it crashed the server.
I appreciate any input that could be helpful.

3 REPLIES 3

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hi Nick,
Yes! I've been trying to get back to the numerous people who contacted me after our session. There seems to be several questions about the iPad camera kit setup for ethernet. Here's the required items:

-powered USB hub (the ethernet takes too much power for the iPad to directly handle)
-Camera kit (USB plug)
-Apple to USB Ethernet adapter
-iPad

Take the powered USB hub and plug the USB to ethernet adapter into the hub and plug it into an ethernet cord. Then, take the end that you'd normally plug into your computer and plug that into the camera kit adapter. Then, plug the camera kit adapter into the iPad. You'll get an alert on the iPad that it isn't a supported USB peripheral. This is a good thing! It means it was detected. If you don't get this warning, check all your connections as something isn't right.

Give the iPad 30 seconds or so and you should be online. I've had to sometimes reboot the iPad with everything connected to see it and if you disconnect it, it almost always needs a reboot to see it again a second time.

So, this isn't bullet-proof but works awesome to get a clear passcode or reset command to an iPad that is locked out. It works about 80-80% of the time for me.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

nickgab
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it.