Cannot update FileMaker Pro 13

mmartinez
New Contributor

I have FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 scoped to all of my faculty. When I attempt to update to 13.0v3 and scope it to a few test machines, it installs as a trial version. I have composed this policy different ways with the same failure. Has any one seen this issue?

7 REPLIES 7

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

When you composed your original FileMaker 13 package did you have to go through the steps of altering the Assisted Install.txt and including the Registration.app? I kept having issues installing via dmg so I had to break down and go through the instructions step by step for ARD install, which is pkg, and it is finally working.

Here is the PDF I used:

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_network_install_setup.pdf

Not sure if that is the issue you are running into but I figured it was an okay place to start.

mmartinez
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. unfortunately this does not resolve my Issue. Every time I create a new package with FileMaker Pro 13.0.v3 and deploy, the test machines show that its a trail version. But with the previous version there were no issues.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Caitlin: thanks for that. do you know if we can leave the License Key blank and have it prompt? It would be too logical for our company to have site licenses, so instead I have 4pk on one key, 5 pack on another, a few single keys... etc.

The network install would be awesome, kept for that pesky key problem.

ShaunRMiller83
Contributor III

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/13/en/fmp13_network_install_setup.pdf

Page 12 of this guide explains what each option of the assisted install.txt controls. I don't believe leaving the field for license key blank will prompt for it on install it will just install the trial. The alternative would be to have the install be non-silent but the assisted install.txt file would populate the fields, and allow you a chance to enter the key.

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

@jwojda I'm not sure about the leaving the key blank. Since I have all the bits together let me try it out and I'll update the thread again.

What's interesting is that for previous version of FM (FM 11 & FM 12) we just packaged via Composer and didn't go through these steps but FM 13 does not function if you bypass the outlined FileMaker process.

Caitlin_H
New Contributor III

@jwojda it does not look like the installation will work if a serial number is omitted. It gives the standard error "This application has been installed incorrectly or modified by another program. Please run the Installer to get a fresh copy of the application after determining cause."

This is the same error I see when it is packaged incorrectly via Composer.

pearlin
New Contributor III

@Caitlin_M is right: the ARD install method appears to be the only way that works and won't prompt users for the license info after distribution. I had to do the install via ARD in two waves: the initial install (using the FM provided ARD package script) and then the follow-up distribution of the v3 update package.

I too used to just DMG package previous versions FileMaker, but alas, this method no longer works. It's a few more steps, but the ARD method seems like the way to go.