Grey Screen after Jamf Prestage

alexiiii
New Contributor II

Hello,
Just after enrolling the Mac on Macos 14 with Jamf prestage, there is this grey screen. (It happens just before creating the user account so when inspect this mac with jamf, there is only the management account created)

On the grey screen, there is only login and password.

Is there a bug ? Or does it happened to you ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alexiiii
New Contributor II

Hello,
I just found the solution on macadmins slack : 
You have to desactivate "create management account" in settings > global > User-initieated enrollment > Macos

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Whew.  I'm glad I;'m not the only one.

Just spent a week diagnosing and troubleshooting.  I have an open case with Jamf, and I suspect its an expansion to Jamf Product Issue PI111120.

My Case# is CS1067818.  I would suggest opening your own case to get more attention on this.

The workaround I found was to edit the Prestage Enrollment config to create a local admin account during enrollment.  The account is set to be hidden.  Doing this allows Apple Setup to advance to the Account creation step and the following steps successfully.

PI111120 was an issue discovered in macOS Ventura, whereby disabling the Transfer Data step in the Enrollment configuration would have the same result.

My testing found that editing the Apple Setup steps did not have an effect; only needed to add the local admin account.

I tested this on 4 different computers (All macOS Sonoma, laptop, desktop, Intel and Apple Silicon).

alexiiii
New Contributor II

Hello,
I just found the solution on macadmins slack : 
You have to desactivate "create management account" in settings > global > User-initieated enrollment > Macos

pbenware1
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I also saw that thread, but it's not identical to my situation.

That thread suggests that when Settings->Global-> User-Initiated Enrollment -> Create Management Account is enabled AND Prestage-> Account Settings-> Create local administrator account before Apple Setup is enabled AND they are both using the same account name, that this issue occurs.

In my case, we do have "Create Management Account" enabled, but we had not previously had "Create local administrator account before Apple Setup" enabled, so there should not have been a conflict there, yet the issue existed.

We do now have both enabled, with different account names, and Apple Setup is completing as expected.

Since we are not currently managing FileVault users, maybe we no longer need to have "Create Management Account" enabled, but at this point its working so I'm happy to leave it alone for the time being.