Has anyone rolled out Viscosity OpenVPN client to their users?

jasontucker
New Contributor

We use Viscosity OpenVPN client on our macs and we're wanting to make it easier for us to roll this out to others using self service, what's the best way to go about this?

7 REPLIES 7

jesseshipley
Contributor

I do. Create a package on a machine where you install, register it, and add the connections. All of that can be installed via a package. Be sure that you include the viscosity helper tool and daemon otherwise users will be prompted for an admin password on first launch.

jriv
New Contributor III

Also, make sure to configure and register it then include ~/Library/Preferences/com.viscosityvpn.Viscosity.plist. I found that a reboot was for it to show proper registration.

mire3212
New Contributor II

@jesseshipley Where did you find the helper tool/daemon at?

jesseshipley
Contributor

@mire3212 they are in /Library. com.sparklabs.ViscosityHelper.plist is in LaunchDaemons and you need to load it (the main read for asking users for admin password on first launch.) com.sparklabs.ViscosityHelper is in the /Library/PrivilegedHelpTools dir.

mire3212
New Contributor II

@jesseshipley Awesome! Thanks! I also found this to help (if I reverse the steps):

https://www.sparklabs.com/support/kb/article/uninstalling-viscosity-mac/

BigToeKnee810
New Contributor II

I am having an issue getting this to install. I get "Cannot install package." error from self service. The JAMF applications log is unhelpful as it just says "There was a problem installing Viscosity VPN. Contact your administrator."

Here is what I have...

b776ef0ef1dd424da2f5c1fc0d4296b3

alextorres
New Contributor

I was running into the issue recently with end users being prompted for admin credentials at first launch but found some feedback from viscosity.

Tossed the below command into the package and I was good to go.

/Applications/Viscosity.app/Contents/MacOS/Viscosity -installHelperTool YES

https://www.sparklabs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2375#p7088