Haswell Late 2013 iMacs, pmset, and Energy Saver

bryce_carlson
New Contributor III

We have 70 new Late 2013 standard iMacs, and I have started imaging them to rollout shortly. In my testing in the last few days I have noticed that they have different energy saver settings than previous Macs (we have always set our lab Macs to sleep the display after 15 minutes and then the computer after three hours (or in some cases never)). The old system of sleeping the display and computer at separate times is now gone. Upon looking things up I found that the new Haswell iMacs have different power management (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5460434). Does anyone know of a simple way that JSS could be used to maybe run a "pmset" to force the computer and display to sleep at different times? The pmset KB from Apple (https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/pmset.1.html) talks about having different timers for each, but I am not sure how to set them, or what the best practice others have found is.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@bryce.carlson, we use a Config Profile with the Energy Saver payload.

You could scope that via smart or static groups in the JSS appropriately.

View solution in original post

bryce_carlson
New Contributor III

With MDM enrollment working it does appear to follow the configuration profile to spite the fact that the profile settings are a tad different than the new Haswell/Mavericks power management pane.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@bryce.carlson, we use a Config Profile with the Energy Saver payload.

You could scope that via smart or static groups in the JSS appropriately.

bryce_carlson
New Contributor III

@bentoms, That is what we do now for all of our JSS clients (includes these 70 iMacs), however the policy does not seem to be applying. It seems like the payload is actually different from what these new Macs use for Energy Saver. I am going to make a new profile later today for just a test group to make sure it is not a bad profile.

bryce_carlson
New Contributor III

Turns out the new Macs have been enrolled, but not pulled the MDM profile (thus no profiles will apply). Working with JAMF and Comodo (when it is up) to refresh our not expired but corrupted Tomcat SSL cert. Will report back after on how the Energy Saver payload behaves with the new Haswell Macs.

bryce_carlson
New Contributor III

With MDM enrollment working it does appear to follow the configuration profile to spite the fact that the profile settings are a tad different than the new Haswell/Mavericks power management pane.