Having Trouble at imaging via USB-Stick

ErgodirektMac
New Contributor III

Good morning everybody,we currently have the following problem.
We have to upgrade some clients from macOS 10.10.5 to macOS 10.14.5 via imaging because APNS doesn't work for us. We downloaded the current installation image (macOS Mojave installieren) from Apple and created an installation image with AutoDMG. We have to upgrade some clients from macOS 10.10.5 to macOS 10.14.5 via imaging because APNS doesn't work for us. We downloaded the current installation image from Apple and created an installation image with AutoDMG. With AutocasperNBI I create the final image. This comes on a bootable USB stick.
So far so good. Jamf starts, formats the SSD and installs all programs.
BUT: After the first boot process the system partition is not found and it cannot be booted to completion.
If I then boot again from USB stick or into recovery mode, the system partition is present and filled with data. I don't have any idea anymore why. This is tested on three clients.
Do you have any tips for me?
I have rebuilt the boot stick and the NBI image several times. Without success. But I was able to reinstall three Macs with the (previous) image - without any problems.
Many thanks for your tips.
Frank

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Look
Valued Contributor III

How about just having JAMF Imaging run the macOS installer before then installing any other apps.
Doing this is slower, but it does mean macOS is installed correctly along with any hardware detection, disk configuration etc... as required.

View solution in original post

ErgodirektMac
New Contributor III

That would be possible, of course. But in general the whole thing has worked before. But thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try.

Macdaddyohbob
New Contributor II

Is the disk still HFS+? I suspect it needs to be upgraded to APFS for Mojave to boot without doing some hacking around the issue. I actually had the problem in reverse. We have Sierra machines that went out for service with Apple and returned with APFS volumes. I'd re image which seemed to go fine but couldn't boot. Had to get rid of the APFS volume and reformat as HFS before they could boot into Sierra.

ErgodirektMac
New Contributor III

Hello to everybody,

we've fixed the problem like this:

Booting the Mac with "High Sierra"-USB Bootstick
Installation of "High Sierra" from USB bootstick to hard drive
Basic configuration of "High Sierra" after installation
Booting into recovery mode with Mojave USB Bootstick plugged in
Select Bootvolume Mojave USB Bootstick
Booting from Mojave USB Bootstick
Installing the JAMF Workflow without Reboot by System
Booting into Recoery Mode
Selecting the boot volume
Reboot
Now the JAMF installed alle programs

That works fine.

@Macdaddyohbob: i have formatted the hard disk with APFS when i've booted into the JAMF Workflow - but the result remained the same.

Thanks for all your help!

Kind regards,
Frank

4 REPLIES 4

Look
Valued Contributor III

How about just having JAMF Imaging run the macOS installer before then installing any other apps.
Doing this is slower, but it does mean macOS is installed correctly along with any hardware detection, disk configuration etc... as required.

ErgodirektMac
New Contributor III

That would be possible, of course. But in general the whole thing has worked before. But thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try.

Macdaddyohbob
New Contributor II

Is the disk still HFS+? I suspect it needs to be upgraded to APFS for Mojave to boot without doing some hacking around the issue. I actually had the problem in reverse. We have Sierra machines that went out for service with Apple and returned with APFS volumes. I'd re image which seemed to go fine but couldn't boot. Had to get rid of the APFS volume and reformat as HFS before they could boot into Sierra.

ErgodirektMac
New Contributor III

Hello to everybody,

we've fixed the problem like this:

Booting the Mac with "High Sierra"-USB Bootstick
Installation of "High Sierra" from USB bootstick to hard drive
Basic configuration of "High Sierra" after installation
Booting into recovery mode with Mojave USB Bootstick plugged in
Select Bootvolume Mojave USB Bootstick
Booting from Mojave USB Bootstick
Installing the JAMF Workflow without Reboot by System
Booting into Recoery Mode
Selecting the boot volume
Reboot
Now the JAMF installed alle programs

That works fine.

@Macdaddyohbob: i have formatted the hard disk with APFS when i've booted into the JAMF Workflow - but the result remained the same.

Thanks for all your help!

Kind regards,
Frank