HD Imaging vs Netboot Imaging

jrippy
Contributor II

I'm seeing some interesting behavior with my JSS and I wanted to know if anyone else saw it as well or could explain why it is happening.

If I take one of my iMacs, boot to an external HD and let Casper Imaging/autorun go, everything completes as expected and the last enrollment time is updated.

However, if I take the same iMac, Netboot it and let Casper Imaging/autorun do its thing, again everything completes successfully but the last enrollment time is NOT updated.

Can someone explain why this is happening? Should it be happening?

4 REPLIES 4

jrippy
Contributor II

I should mention, I was trying to track the last time a computer was imaged when I noticed this. JSS 9.65 running on RHEL7, Tomcat 7.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

I haven't particularly noticed this. I was under the impression there is no difference (from that perspective) between an external drive boot and netboot.

You mentioned autorun but only for netboot, is the configuration etc exactly the same in both cases?

jrippy
Contributor II

@davidacland Yes Autorun is kicking in either way. Sorry I didn't specify that (and in fact made it sound just the opposite).

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

We exclusively use Netboot imagaing and have seen this behavior throughout various versions of the JSS since version 9.

My only solve for this was adding a quickadd package to install at reboot. Seems to work.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools