hdiutil with GoogleDriveFileStram.dmg

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I want to make a self service policy that use the GoogleDriveFileStream.dmg and the script that Google has created (down below). Where does the policy put the .dmg so i can modify the 'hdiutil mount GoogleDriveFileStream.dmg'. and also hides it from the users desktop? I don't want the user to see it mounted on the desktop.

hdiutil mount GoogleDriveFileStream.dmg; sudo installer -pkg /Volumes/Install Google Drive File Stream/GoogleDriveFileStream.pkg -target "/Volumes/Macintosh HD"; hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Install Google Drive File Stream/

I currently have a working policy for this. I used the PACKAGES program, but i also want to try it this second way.

4 REPLIES 4

Nix4Life
Valued Contributor

@tcandela

I just am working on something similar. Not really liking the current methods of osupgrades using self-service, I setup installr to run as a link. The part which may help you , is that I created an invisible mount point, and mount the dmg there, so it is unseen to the end user:

mkdir /private/tmp/.yourdirectoryhere
hdiutil mount  http://someserverhere/installr.dmg -mountPoint /private/tmp/.yourdirectoryhere

seems to work for my needs could start you in the right direction

tcandela
Valued Contributor II

I just want to upload the googledrivefilestream.dmg to casper admin and put it in a policy along with that script. When the policy runs the dmg where does it reside so i can correctly set the hdiutil mount?

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

The best way I can think of to do this would be to use the "Cache" option when pushing the DMG to your Macs. If you leave it as "Install", the jamf binary will try to install the contents as soon as it finishes downloading and then will unmount and remove the DMG. I'm not sure if your script will even have a chance to do anything with the disk image in that scenario. It might literally be gone from disk by the time the script runs.

If you cache it, it ends up in /Library/Application Support/JAMF/Waiting Room/ and sits there until some other action takes place. You should be able to then mount it from there with a script set to run "After"

Also, hdiutil can mount a disk image silently (not showing in Finder) without needing to create an invisible mount point. Just use the -nobrowse and optionally the -noautoopen flags along with hdiutil attach

Mauricio
Contributor III

The GoogleDriveFileStream.dmg has a GoogleDriveFileStream.pkg inside.
Download the dmg and upload the pkg into Jamf (Jamf Admin.app)
From there use the GoogleDriveFileStream.pkg in your policy and scope as needed.

No need to use Google's script.