Hide apps (not delete) on iOS?

jonlju
Contributor

Hi all,

Is there a way to hide apps from the homescreen in iOS without removing them entirely from the phone? I know how to do it manually on my phone, but I'm not sure I've found anything that works within Jamf.

We have a content filter application that needs to be installed to function, but the app itself only contains text and so it seems to confuse our users if it's visible on the home screen.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RLR
Valued Contributor

You can setup a config profile and under the "Restrictions > Apps" payload you can change "App Usage" to "Some apps not allowed". Then put in the app name of the app(s) you want to hide. This will hide them from the home screen. I don't think this has any other affect other then hiding them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RLR
Valued Contributor

You can setup a config profile and under the "Restrictions > Apps" payload you can change "App Usage" to "Some apps not allowed". Then put in the app name of the app(s) you want to hide. This will hide them from the home screen. I don't think this has any other affect other then hiding them.

That did the trick, thank you!

Thank you, I didn't know it before. But now I know it and it is all because of you. Thank you, you made my day.

If you are looking for how to open hidden apps on iPhone, check out this post: https://setapp.com/how-to/find-hidden-apps-on-iphone It was really helpful for me! There are numerous ways to find hidden apps on iPhone. Hope, this blog post will help you! Thanks for the discussion!

Lessardrp
Contributor

I'll have to give this a try. On some devices we have 20+ organizational apps and things get really cluttered with all the default IOS stuff mixed in there. Some of my customers are first responders too so I don't want them having to sift through clutter to find what they need. When I set up a new device, I find myself "removing from home screen" many items which becomes tedious. If possible, I would like to do the basic activation process and have like 20 items just disappear from the home screen on their own. I am always cautious about uninstalling vice simply removing the icon from the home screen because removing some apps may impact background functionality of other apps.

cwaldrip
Valued Contributor

I'll keep looking, but this solution seems to remove the apps from the device, not just from the Home Screen. If I remove Fitness (com.apple.Fitness) it's nowhere to be found on the device in spotlight or the installed apps. It's likely still actually ON the device, just being hidden from use.