How do I allow Logitech Device Pref Pane?

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

Hello, I have a user who installed the latest and greatest Logitech mouse on his laptop. The preference pane is greyed out though and the user cannot access the software. I am new to Caspar and would like to allow the user to utilize the software. Any suggestions on how I go about setting this up?

I found the entries for the product "com.Logitech.ControlCenter.Preference.Pane" and "jp.plentycom.prefpane.SteerMouse"

Thanks for the help.

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

In Workgroup Manager, under one of either User, Group, Computer or Computer Group, check under the Preferences button in the main toolbar, and then under System Preferences in the list of icons that shows up. That's where any Pref Pane management generally occurs with OD.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

talkingmoose

Pref panes usually allow any user access to them even if they don't allow the user to make changes.

Is the pref pane greyed out before he clicks on it or are you saying the options in it are greyed out (no permission to make changes)?

I take it the user is not an administrator. What happens if an administrator installs it?

mm2270

If you've set up MCX to restrict certain System Preference Panes with the allowedPreferencePanes option, then you'll need to add the Bundle Identifier into the array. I assume its "com.Logitech.ControlCenter.Preference.Pane" as you said in your post.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

The preference pain is greyed out even though the user doing the install is an Administrator.

If you've set up MCX to restrict certain System Preference Panes with the allowedPreferencePanes option, then you'll need to add the Bundle Identifier into the array. I assume its "com.Logitech.ControlCenter.Preference.Pane" as you said in your post.

This might be the case, where is this set?

Joe

mm2270

yourJSS > Management > Managed Preferences

Look for something under com.apple.systempreferences. If you find that and see one called Enabled System Preference Panes" under it, click the Edit button to see the settings.
There will be a bunch of text inside an <array> block. Stuff like <string>com.apple.preference.datetime</string> for example. Those are the CFBundleIdentifer strings for the PrefPanes.

If that's all there, and these are being applied to your Macs, you need to add the bundle identifiers in for the logitech preference panes to unlock them. Alternatively, you could exclude some Macs from the scope of the managed preference from getting applied to them, but that would turn the whole MCX setting off for those Macs.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

yourJSS > Management > Managed Preferences

Unfortunately this is completely empty. Any other suggestions as to where this might be set-up?

Joe

mm2270

Were you using an Open Directory server before Casper that might still be applying managed settings to your Macs?

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

We are using open directory in addition to casper, but I am not aware of any settings with open directory that would be preventing this installation either.

Just so I can double check, where would I look in open directory to check for this?

Joe

mm2270

In Workgroup Manager, under one of either User, Group, Computer or Computer Group, check under the Preferences button in the main toolbar, and then under System Preferences in the list of icons that shows up. That's where any Pref Pane management generally occurs with OD.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

I found it earlier this afternoon, thanks for the advice. If I understand it correctly, I need to launch WorkGroup Manager from a machine where the software is installed and it should then allow me to add the appropriate preference panes, is that correct?

JOe