How do I update Mac App Store apps deployed via Jamf?

OneSeventeen
New Contributor II

If I install a mac app store app on any of our Macos devices through Jamf (either self service or auto-install by scope) that app will never update.

Jamf will show me the current version in the mac app store app list, but it won't update any of my machines.

Unfortunately I noticed this about a year after using this to push out several apps, so it looks like all of them are stuck on early 2018 versions.

I successfully updated my computer by removing myself from the scope, manually deleting files from my laptop, re-adding myself to the scope, and having it reinstall. I imagine I have forgotten to check a box somewhere.

Here are some common settings for the apps:
- Schedule Jamf Pro to automatically check iTunes for app updates
- Automatically Force App Updates
- VPP > Assign VPP Content

9 REPLIES 9

Rikky
New Contributor II

This is a good question, I've just asked JAMF support!

mjames
Contributor

I have the same issue.

5kinner
New Contributor III

I had this also, after a bit of searching I had to enable this

https://docs.jamf.com/10.1.0/jamf-pro/administrator-guide/Mac_App_Store_App_Update_Settings.html

I would have thought the individual settings in the Mac App Store section would have over-ridden this but evidently not. I did a force update from the global setting which I saw an update go through on my machine. I will monitor to see what happens when new updates come in.

rtylerdavis
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Did you get this resolved? I have a similar issue, and have tried enabling auto updates following the steps in the link from @5kinner as well as forcing updates manually through that link. It seems like some of our apps will update, but definitely not all of them. It also seems like it won't update/gives up if the app is open and in use...

GregE
Contributor

If you check the Management tab under the asset you'll probably have "MDMClienterror-72". It's a known issue that Jamf aren't able to resolve unfortunately.

https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/31057/vpp-redownload-call-timed-out-mdmclienterror-72

joshuaaclark
Contributor

5kinner: Those settings fixed my issue. Thanks.

rseeley
New Contributor III

I have found that some apps will not update if they are running for example; OneDrive. When I need to get everyone updated, I will run a script against a smart computer group of outdated machines that closes OneDrive. Then go into Mac App Store Apps, click on OneDrive and force an update

dtrockman
New Contributor III

I do notice that some of the user's apps never update. I have updates set to 11:00PM daily. If it misses the 11:00PM update does it fail and not update? If I set it to 10:00AM when virtually every computer is on, will it have the effect of losing open content on apps updated at that time? The primary apps that need updating are MS Office apps. Will users potentially lose open content? I have not experienced this effect. Anyone?

Darb
New Contributor II

Wondering the exact same thing as @dtrockman. Have not crossed this bridge yet but would love to have a leg up on the situation before it inevitably happens.