how does JAMF push apps(in house)

cws_tech
New Contributor

If we are using an in house app and i update the file. once i click save how then does it get pushed to all devices. is it all at once? if is in batches, timed. Does it only get updated over WIFI etc etc?

5 REPLIES 5

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Hi, how and where are you updating the app? Are you uploading it as a package to Jamf? How are you currently deploying the software? Is it through a policy? Is it scoped to a smart group or to all managed devices? Can you please provide a little more detail?

sujal1208
New Contributor III

Define in house apps, did your company create an app for your Macs that can be downloaded from a website in terms of a .pkg or .dmg or .app?

If so, you need to upload the app onto Jamf. Creating a policy that installs the app to the devices that are suppose to get the app. You can modify on when the app will get installed, I usually pick check-in and once per computer regarding pushing apps. 

cws_tech
New Contributor

This is all for mobile devices. iphones/ipads. we do not use any imacs.

another company created a slight different version of their app for us to use. they just tailored certain things for us. they send us the ipa file and we upload it through jamf through mobile device apps. i have it set as install automatically and the scope is defined to various smart mobile device groups. we have it displayed in self service after it is installed. 

the interesting thing is that when i go into self service and search for the app i can see that it says update. but it didnt go out automatically. 

also this is seperate but kind of part of it. how can i set install priority on apps? if i want a certain app to install before another app installs.

junjishimazaki
Valued Contributor

Do you have the option "Automatically Force App Updates" enabled for that app?

yes that is set