How to add a shortcut to the Finder sidebar?

jhuls
Contributor III

I've been tasked with coming up with a script to mount an smb share where the share will be a user's name. This share needs to show up in the Finder sidebar with the name "Home". I've been able to do the following...

mkdir /Volumes/Home
mount -t smbfs smb://pc-fs2.pc.parkland.edu/home2$/$Current_User /Volumes/Home

I figure if there's a way to get /Volumes/Home created as a shortcut in the Finder sidebar then things are good.

Any ideas? I was sure a few months ago I saw an application someone created that would do this but now I can't find it. Maybe I saw it in a dream...no idea. At any rate it'd be nice if I could pull this off.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

jhuls
Contributor III

@PatrickD That's the one I ended up using. Thanks for the tip!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

jhuls
Contributor III

Thanks for the link! The comments for it lead me to believe it may not be reliable for El Capitan but someone else listed a couple of apps developed that should fit the bill. I just tried one of them out and it looks like it'll work. I wouldn't have found those if not for your link.

PatrickD
Contributor II

@jhuls Have had great luck with the mySides binary. Super simple to use and haven't had any issues on El Cap.

I personally had to turn to this as the plist solution stopped working in El Cap.

https://github.com/mosen/mysides

note if the directory that you are "favouriting" has a space in it you will need to replace the space with a %20 when its passed in.

Pat

jhuls
Contributor III

@PatrickD That's the one I ended up using. Thanks for the tip!

dstranathan
Valued Contributor II

@PatrickD - Did you have to complie it? I dont see an executable binary on mosen's github repo (https://github.com/mosen/mysides).

I just spit out a binary from Xcode. Seems like mosen should have a precompiled version available...?

PatrickD
Contributor II

Hey @dstranathan,

Yeah I had to compile it in Xcode, would be nice if it was up there ready to go though. In saying that I'm not complaining. Props to mosen for doing the grunt work, I guess we can just do the last little bit haha.