how to block 10.13.2

osxadmin
Contributor II

I'm having a hard time trying to block/restrict update 10.13.2 how could I do that from JSS (current version 9.96 but I guess any version of JSS should be similar process)

any help will be appreciated.
thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

You would need quotes:

softwareupdate --ignore "macOS 10.13.2 Update"

I haven't personally tested this specific command, my system is currently installing the 10.13.2 update. The progress wheel is turning very slowly and it's been a while...

Edit: I updated this, I forgot you have to prune the dash and version number at the end.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Chuey
Contributor III

We use the "Restricted Software" feature of the JSS.

Go to Restricted Software > Create a new restriction and add this Install macOS Sierra.app as the process name and kill it.

Works great for us on staff who attempt to update.

1ad76de29e8d4edcac9e7306ee519234

Chuey
Contributor III

Ok -- im sorry I may have mis interpreted your question. If users are already running 10.13.1 then what I stated is not going to work. We use internal update servers so we can stop the update at the update server level. Not sure if you use internal update servers or not...

osxadmin
Contributor II

@Chuey no we don't have an internal update server.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Send the softwareupdate executable a command to ignore the update. Remove that later once you want to make it available again.

osxadmin
Contributor II

@alexjdale could you please post the steps on how to do that please....thank you in advance.

osxadmin
Contributor II

I have a policy doing this: "Files and Processes"> "Execute Command" >softwareupdate --ignore macOSUpd10.13.2
I tested but it doesn't seem to block it.

here's the screenshots:
180c88151091424494b15bfbe28f8813
a874cc4ddb344da7baac8b463fec4325

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

I think the name you want to ignore is "macOS 10.13.2 Update-10.13.2" instead.

You will know it's working when "softwareupdate --list" doesn't return that update as an option anymore.

osxadmin
Contributor II

@alexjdale like this?

softwareupdate --ignore macOS 10.13.2 Update-10.13.2

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

You would need quotes:

I haven't personally tested this specific command, my system is currently installing the 10.13.2 update. The progress wheel is turning very slowly and it's been a while...

Edit: I updated this, I forgot you have to prune the dash and version number at the end.

osxadmin
Contributor II

Thanks @alexjdale I'll give it a try.

ChrisJScott-wor
New Contributor III

I can confirm that this works - currently using it to block the update on all systems until Apple can figure out how to roll out an update that doesn't bork systems.

osxadmin
Contributor II

Thank you @alexjdale that worked

policies screen shot from my JSS
08a5414ed57a4ee290dbd310e087d183

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@alexjdale @osxadmin Alright, and what if you want to make te update available again?

gdonoghue2
New Contributor

I've also got to reverse this, I'm waiting to hear back from support, but it looks like its going to be another policy that uses a command like this:

softwareupdate --reset-ignored

To get the various switches: softwareupdate --?

To get the status of what you are currently blocking: softwareupdate --ignore