How to change a Local Admin password in JAMF pro without a script!

BifuBa
New Contributor

Hi, we are very new to JAMF pro having recently updated from JAMF now.  We've just had to share our local admin password with a remote user and would like to now have this changed. 

Can this be changed manually without any need for scripting if so how? Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Danolman
New Contributor III

Create a new policy and select the Local Accounts item. You can select the Reset Account Password item and enter the account name and new password!

Danolman_0-1641322292817.png

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Danolman
New Contributor III

Create a new policy and select the Local Accounts item. You can select the Reset Account Password item and enter the account name and new password!

Danolman_0-1641322292817.png

Thanks a bunch @Danolman. Exactly what I needed as it resolved our request.

aandino
New Contributor III

Did this end up working for you? I've tried it a few times recently, and it doesn't appear to work. When I do it, the details in the logs say "Error resetting the password for user localadmin"

Same here... confidently walked into a brick wall knowing this used to work.

I just had a duh moment.  Local accounts with SecureTokens can't be changed without supplying the old password which Jamf isn't going to implement for security reasons.  Best option (generally) is to either move away from local admin accounts or leverage a LAPS style tool.

what trigger should i use? 
i have tried this with but it is not working

PatrickD
Contributor II

If the local admin account you are referring to is the Jamf Management Account, you will have to use the Management Account option and select Change Account Password. Otherwise use @Danolman's solution.

Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 12.58.53.png

PatrickD
Contributor II

Additionally, if providing the local admin account password to users is not just a 1 off, I would suggest looking at something similar to this for a Local Administrator Password Solution (LAPS).