RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Asana application does not have a .pkg file inside the .DMG? any suggestion 

Here is the download link: https://asana.com/download 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Levi_
Contributor II

Hey Ren,

I'm just going to go over the steps in brief here. 

1. Open the .dmg & move asana to applications folder
  2. Open Composer, Drag Asana from the applications folder to the composer project panel
  3. Set Group and Owner on Asana App
  4. Click build as package up top
  5. Upload .pkg to Jamf & Create Policy & Scope to test device
  6. Run Policy from Self Service and verify installation

In brief these are the steps to build a .pkg for an app quickly without any additional customizations. If you did the above and are not seeing the app after executing the policy on your test machine we would want to verify where the app is being deployed to from the .pkg, screenshot the composer window for Asana so we can verify the directory it's being placed in. 

View solution in original post

Cats-Team
New Contributor II

You could also consider deploying Asana via Curl script, so you don't have to keep jumping back to your policy & re-do the Composer process to get the latest version. 

Instead of your Asana policy having a pkg, you could use this script instead.

#!/bin/bash

#Script to download & install Asana 

cd /tmp 
curl -Lo asana.dmg "https://desktop-downloads.asana.com/darwin_universal/prod/latest/Asana.dmg"
hdiutil mount asana.dmg
cp -R /Volumes/Asana/Asana.app /Applications
hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Asana
rm /tmp/asana.dmg

exit

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Levi_
Contributor II

Hey Ren,

You would use Composer to install Asana and then package it. Here is Jamf's documentation on Composer and a YT Video that you can reference but please feel free to look around for a video of your choice - Composer Tutorial - YT 

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

I was able to do as the video described but not seeing application installed. video seem straight forward.

Levi_
Contributor II

Hey Ren,

I'm just going to go over the steps in brief here. 

1. Open the .dmg & move asana to applications folder
  2. Open Composer, Drag Asana from the applications folder to the composer project panel
  3. Set Group and Owner on Asana App
  4. Click build as package up top
  5. Upload .pkg to Jamf & Create Policy & Scope to test device
  6. Run Policy from Self Service and verify installation

In brief these are the steps to build a .pkg for an app quickly without any additional customizations. If you did the above and are not seeing the app after executing the policy on your test machine we would want to verify where the app is being deployed to from the .pkg, screenshot the composer window for Asana so we can verify the directory it's being placed in. 

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Levi,

Thank you for your assistance I was able to confirm this is working as you described. thank you for the detailed information

Cats-Team
New Contributor II

You could also consider deploying Asana via Curl script, so you don't have to keep jumping back to your policy & re-do the Composer process to get the latest version. 

Instead of your Asana policy having a pkg, you could use this script instead.

#!/bin/bash

#Script to download & install Asana 

cd /tmp 
curl -Lo asana.dmg "https://desktop-downloads.asana.com/darwin_universal/prod/latest/Asana.dmg"
hdiutil mount asana.dmg
cp -R /Volumes/Asana/Asana.app /Applications
hdiutil unmount /Volumes/Asana
rm /tmp/asana.dmg

exit

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response ill save this for future reference since it looks like i can use it at a later date.

Looks like Asana has done something that breaks the create package method on 1.14.1.   On the upside, the curl script does work.  I had been using the package method and patch management to keep this silently updated.  If anyone know how to get the package method working again, please post here. 

techfan42
New Contributor II

You could use the pkgbuild command, it may need to be run with sudo. Mount the dmg before running the command.

pkgbuild --install-location /Applications --component /Volumes/Asana/Asana.app ./Desktop/Asana.pkg

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

How will i manage updating this platform if i use this method?. Thanks in advance

Cats-Team
New Contributor II

So if you mean updating the Asana App, there's two methods, but both require to create a Smart Computer Group that knows which MAC has an outdated version of Asana so you can properly target which MACs get the update policy.

RenAdmin
New Contributor III

I can get the app deployed however not sure how I can get this app to auto install new updates.?