How to Disable Apple Software Update Notifications

llitz123
Contributor III

I thought I disabled update notifications from Apple via config profile by unchecking "Allow software update notifications" in the Restrictions > Applications section, yet I still get these:

LWScreenShot 2023-02-01 at 8.24.46 AM.png

Did I miss something?

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8

Samstar777
Contributor II

@llitz123 Feel free to use mobile config from my GitHub Page https://github.com/Samstar777/Disable-Apple-Software-Update-Notification

This worked instantly and better than the default settings available in Jamf. Thanks!

Thanks @user-MoZVJrtsVh 

Does this also hide the Notification Icon in the System Preferences?

It worked for me once but after running the software update check, the icon is back.

ajanicke
New Contributor III

Sorry for the necro but this was exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea how you were able to make this but thank you!

llitz123
Contributor III

I'll take a look.

Should I remove the settings I have in place when I add the mobile config?

Thanks.

Samstar777
Contributor II

@llitz123 Yes, please do remove / modify your existing settings.

Jaykrishna1
Contributor II

If you have disabled software update notifications using a configuration profile in Jamf Pro, but are still receiving notifications, there are a few possible causes:

1. The configuration profile is not being applied to the device: Ensure that the configuration profile has been assigned to the correct device or group of devices and that the profile is correctly installed on the device.

2. The restriction is being overridden by another configuration profile: If there are multiple configuration profiles applied to the device, ensure that there are no conflicting settings between the profiles. One profile may be overridding the restriction set in another profile.

3. The restriction is being overridden by device settings: Ensure that the restriction has not been manually disabled on the device.

4. The restriction is not being enforced: Sometimes, changes to restrictions can take some time to take effect. Try restarting the device or waiting for a few hours to see if the restriction is enforced.

If the issue persists, you may need to review the configuration profiles applied to the device and ensure that the correct restrictions are being set and enforced.