How to handle Apple ID's?

lehmanp00
Contributor III

Reading the Ars Technica review of 10.8, I see that Apple Updates are now rolled into the App Store. Which requires a Apple/iTunes ID account.

How do I manage that with labs deployments? Do we have to make a Corporate/District/School level Apple ID for all Macs now?

Thoughts?

Patrick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think all SUS updates in 10.8 are performed by softwareupdate the same as before, it's just in the GUI you get redirected to the app store.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

ryanatkisson
New Contributor

I've been looking into this as well. I work in higher-ed and we've been trying to figure out the best way to handle departmental purchases. We're hoping to meet with our Apple Rep to determine our best course of action.

joshuay
New Contributor

Patrick,
OS X updates should not require an apple ID in the app store.

alexjdale
Valued Contributor III

Yeah, I haven't seen software updates require a login to the App Store.

Just tested this, I can check for and run updates without an Apple ID being logged in.

FastGM3
Contributor

I noticed some updates in 10.7.x did require an Apple ID, i.e iPhoto. However in 10.8, I updated iPhoto without using an Apple ID. Of course I could be confused.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

RUMOR - rumor has it that free iOS apps won't require an Apple ID to install in iOS version 6.

My fingers are crossed the 10.8 software updates will not require an Apple ID either. I can see why pay for apps, like iPhoto, iMovie will require an Apple ID.

Again, this is all based on rumors and speculation. It's just one fun part of my job. :)

lehmanp00
Contributor III

I don't have a install of 10.8 yet to test, so I'm happy to hear that you don't need a login. Thank for everyone's quick response!

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I think all SUS updates in 10.8 are performed by softwareupdate the same as before, it's just in the GUI you get redirected to the app store.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

Dagnabbit Apple...gimme my danged Apple App Store command line tool....

Don

--
https://donmontalvo.com

jngox3
New Contributor

It would appear that running

sudo softwareupdate -l (to just list) sudo softwareupdate -ia (install)

So i would imagine you don't need a password for system updates including iLife/iWork from Disc installs. Although apps are another situation.

arekdreyer
Contributor

See this page: http://www.apple.com/mac/volume-licensing/

In the section under "Deploying Mountain Lion", theres a very important sentence:

Software updates for OS X Mountain Lion will be provided through the Mac App Store. You or your end users won’t have to enter an Apple ID to receive these software updates.

(emphasis mine)

For software like Numbers and Pages,

You can use one of two methods to install the software on your licensed number of Mac systems:

Redeem from the Mac App Store. On each target Mac, open the Mac App Store and sign in with the Apple ID and password provided by your organization. In the Quick Links section, click Redeem. Enter the redemption code when prompted. The application will download and install in the Applications folder. Software updates for these Mac systems will be provided automatically through the Mac App Store. Use Apple Remote Desktop, NetInstall, or NetRestore. On your administrator Mac system, enter one of the redemption codes provided. You can then copy the application to all the target systems using Apple Remote Desktop. Or you can use the System Image Utility included in OS X Server to create a NetInstall or NetRestore image. Software Updates for OS X Mountain Lion will be provided through the Mac App Store.

As for Mac App Store apps like Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4, see http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4781

Only the Mac system on which the application was originally downloaded will be notified of application updates. To deploy the updated application across all target systems, download the new version of the application from the Mac App Store on the original system. Then, deploy the new version of the application to all of the target systems.

charles_hitch
Contributor II

I submitted a feature request for a command line tool for App Store like softwareupdate. All it would do is install the free available updates. I suggest you all submit similar feature requests.

Of course OS softwareupdates can still be installed from the command line /usr/sbin/softwareupdate without having to go into the App Store.

Petra_Lesbirel
New Contributor

We are having the same problem and do not want to give out that password to our teachers. I saw in earlier posts that perhaps Mountain Lion would solve this. SO- updated a test laptop to Mountain Lion and went to the App Store for updates. There was a message about the "bundled applications (Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto) being assigned to your apple ID". I chose a generic Apple ID that we had created for teachers to use with their iPads and for which they already knew that password and clicked Accept. All of the apps in question were updated. The unique hardware identifier gets assigned to the account that you use.