How to Supervise an iPad in Jamf?

gburch
New Contributor

Hello,

I have four iPads that I can manage in JAMF or JSS. I can push apps to them, but I can't do other commands, such as change the wallpaper or load a configuration profile onto them. They are listed as not being supervised. So, how do I make them supervised? Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

TJ_Edgerly
New Contributor III

Leverage DEP with a pre-stage enrollment (highly recommended) or Configurator to supervise. If you devices are already unsupervised, once you supervise them...they will be wiped.

Can I still use DEP if iPad are already in use purchased through authorised Apple reseller? if yes, then could you please provide some suggestions? thanks

gburch
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I should clarify my situation a bit more. We got these iPads from Amazon, so I had to manually enroll them into JAMF JSS. I can currently manage them and push apps to them, but they are still unsupervised. I don't think I can use DEP, and I don't have Configurator. Is there another way to make them supervised? Thanks!

TJ_Edgerly
New Contributor III

@gburch Unfortunately, if you bought them from Amazon (or Best Buy, Costco... Any Non-Apple Authorized reseller), then you cannot leverage DEP since the devices must be tied to your account on purchase...which can only be done via an Authorized Apple reseller or when you buy directly from Apple.

DEP and Configurator are the only two solutions for making an iOS device supervised. If you have to go the configurator route (Free App by Apple in the App store)... I would highly recommend using a separate "Configurator" only machine to manage them. Other people have had issues when using their own production machine to set up configurator and when they need to wipe/reimage....they forget to back up conjugator and lose the necessary certificates when setting up configurator.

White Paper on using Configurator 2 and the JSS

Link Here

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

There's also GroundCtl

TJ_Edgerly
New Contributor III

@bentoms That is interesting. Does it require DEP?