How to use a MAC book Pro in Offline Mode via AD user

Yong
New Contributor

Hi, I have recently gotten a MacBook Pro (10.8.2) with retina for one of my designer for use with Adobe CC.

I was able to bind the MBP to our Windows 2012 Active Directory and it all seems normal as the user was able to use her current Windows AD account to login to the MBP :
i. Power on the MBP
ii. switch user (default=administrator) to blank box
iii. Enter DomainUsername and Domain password

However, when the user goes out of the office environment, she us unable to see the "switch user" button beside the administrator login. I have granted the user administrator rights to the MBP as she will need to install and update Adobe CC applications that require administrator rights.

Please kindly advise.

6 REPLIES 6

jonarnt
New Contributor

Have you enabled "Create mobile account" ? http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11307

Bendelaat
New Contributor II

You need to make a mobile account as jonarnt said

I'm using the dsconfigad command to set some flags.
dsconfigad -mobile enable -mobileconfirm disable -useuncpath disable -alldomains disable -sharepoint disable

this is to make sure that when a AD user logs in to the machine, the environment is properly set. and able to login outside the network.

jdziat
Contributor

You may also want to check out the utility located at /System/Library/CoreServices/ManagedClient.app/Contents/Resources/createmobileaccount

Bendelaat
New Contributor II

@jdziat
Nice one!
although the help describes:
"-e encrypt : encrypt new home with FileVault.
-q quota : max size in bytes of FileVault home."

isn't this Filevault 1 related?

jdziat
Contributor

@Bendelaat - it could very well be. It's not very well documented by apple anywhere ;) . But those aren't required flags and shouldn't affect what @Yong would like to do.

rtrouton
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Bendelaat

You're correct, the "-e encrypt : encrypt new home with FileVault" and "-q quota : max size in bytes of FileVault home" flags both refer to FileVault 1 (aka legacy FileVault) functionality. Just ignore them if you're using createmobileaccount in 10.7.x or later.