How to use Music and iMovie with a managed iPad

Dirt-Squirt
New Contributor

We have a user who wants to run iMovie and Music on an iPad managed by JAMF.  They want to make promotional videos with iMovie and use Music to create playlists for events at our on-campus art museum. Both require the user to sign in with an iCloud account to launch the App (correct me if I"m wrong, I'm not a wiz at all this).  I don't want to encounter Activation Lock with this iPad so I'm wondering if a Managed Apple ID is the solution or if an email address that we create for the user (and know the password once they use it to create an AppleID and iCloud account) is the correct method. WWW research has not yet revealed this particular situation; can someone wiser than me offer help?

6 REPLIES 6

mschlosser
Contributor II

if you take a look in the prestage settings for the prestage that the device is assigned too, there is an option to disallow the ability to enable activation lock, that is the approach i would take for org purchased devices. If the options not already set, you may have to set it and then reset and re enroll the iPad; i believe, but that's not that big a deal. A managed apple id is a decent idea and i would endorse that option.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Just be aware that you can only use a Managed Apple Account(Apple ID) for iCloud services, but not for e-commerce services such as Apple Music, App Store, etc. Those require a consumer Apple Account. If you don't have activation lock disabled in your prestage you will run into this if a consumer account is used and Find My is enabled. You can use both Managed and Consumer level Apple Accounts at the same time as well. Managed account for iCloud and Consumer account for everything else. That gets around the activation lock issue.

Dirt-Squirt
New Contributor

ah ha!  Prestage....let me start there and see what our settings are. 

Is iMovie considered an e-commerce product? Curious if a Managed ID would allow use of that App.

My ramblings above are more geared towards the accounts you would use for each app not the apps themselves. iMovie would rely on iCloud so you can use a Managed Apple Account/ID on it. Music doesn’t need an account by itself but to use services such as Apple Music and the Store you need a consumer account.

Dirt-Squirt
New Contributor

DirtSquirt_0-1726693945061.png

These are our default settings.  Looks to me like Activation Lock cannot be enabled, correct?

Yep, that’s correct.