Ideas for Managing iOS Mail Settings

joelande
Contributor

We are starting our first 1:1 iPad Initiative.

I'd like to make it as easy as possible for 3rd graders (etc) to use the iOS mail app.

I know there is a mail payload available for profiles.

But I am wondering about the practicality of how this is implemented.

Do people just pre populate the server fields in the profile and then ask the end users to enter their name, email address, and credentials?

Or is there a way to automate it through LDAP?

We currently are assigning each device in the JSS to our LDAP, so theoretically(?) the profile could supply that information, but I am not sure that is even possible.

What are others doing?

10 REPLIES 10

calum_carey
Contributor

yep and then create a config profile that sets up mail. Once deployed users simply need to enter their password. the rest of the account is setup

joelande
Contributor

But is the email address and username automatically populated via Casper?
I just leave those fields empty in the mail payload and Casper automagically inserts LDAP info?

joelande
Contributor

calum_carey
Contributor

use the variables $USERNAME and $EMAIL

blackholemac
Valued Contributor III

calum_carey is right on...I am presuming you use MS Exchange, but could well be wrong. We use Exchange here for our mail server and I got the joy of getting iPads out to admins for teacher evals. Basically to keep from having to hand setup Exchange, I used Casper, assigned the user to the iPad inventory record using LDAP lookup. In the Exchange profile, you use the variables calum_carey is referring to. The only thing the admins had to do was install the profile through Self-Service (you might end up pushing it out, but I used Self-Service. You then open Mail. It asked ONLY for the Exchange password and Mail started flowing in. I DID send out some documentation to our users that they might want to turn Organize by Thread off under their Mail, Calendars and Contacts settings on the local iPad, but that is an optional thing...our users tend to be annoyed by that function.

Hope this helps,
blackholemac

Nick_Gooch
Contributor III

We don't have our users email address entered into LDAP but their user name from LDAP is the same as their email. So in the email address field of the profile I used $USERNAME@email.com The user just has to enter their password once the profile is installed.

charliwest
Contributor II

Sorry to drag this up again from an old discussion but when I do this the profile actually has $USERNAME as the username.... any ideas why this might be the case here and not for others?

Kevin
Contributor II

You would get $USERNAME returned if the value in the username field in the JSS is not populated.

charliwest
Contributor II

I did have that, not sure what changed, but it seems to be working now :)

mmurray
New Contributor II

$USERNAME and $EMAIL worked like a charm for us using LDAP/eDirectory.

Mark