If I send a lock command and it's in pending, can I delete the device after?

JayKay27
New Contributor II

There are a few iPhones that went missing a while back. We've given up trying to find them and decided to just send lock commands and move on. 

If I send the lock command and it's in pending status, can I delete the device from JAMF and will it still execute if one day the device is picked up?

Or is there a better way to make sure the lost device if found and wiped will not allow the person who found it use it at all and contact us? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

If you delete it from JAMF, the devices will stop talking to your MDM instance.

Have you looked into sending the "Enable Lost Mode" command? If you have ABM/DEP set up, you can set up the pre-enrollment to require username/password 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

If you delete it from JAMF, the devices will stop talking to your MDM instance.

Have you looked into sending the "Enable Lost Mode" command? If you have ABM/DEP set up, you can set up the pre-enrollment to require username/password 

JayKay27
New Contributor II

thanks, I think that would be the better option. We just want to clean up some devices from JAMF.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@JayKay27 I don't use Jamf Pro to manage iOS devices, so I'm not certain this applies to them, but for Macs you can stage a Lock command then turn off the "Allow Jamf Pro to perform management tasks" setting. If the Mac does check in it will Lock, but it will no longer appear in Smart Groups or count against your license.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

@sdagley Interesting. It almost sounds like it shouldn't work. I'll have to try that.

I locked my iPhone but don't see the option to "Allow Jamf Pro to perform management tasks" under the Management tab. Maybe "Unmanage Device?"

JayKay27
New Contributor II

unmanage device sounds like it releases the device for anyone to use. If someone was able to wipe device, would that mean they are able to just wipe it and use it again without our JAMF updating? We want to just send a full hard lock on it so the phone is essentially bricked and you can't even restore/ reset it, and be able to just delete it from our JAMF inventory.

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

I'd say Apple Business Manager and Enable Lost Mode are your options.