Image boots to "No Smoking" sign

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Hi there,
I have run into a problem with imaging some brand-new MacBook Pros. The imaging process goes through normally, but upon booting to the hard drive all that displays is the "No Smoking" sign. Could someone please help me understand what has happened? I've tried imaging the machines twice with the same result.

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25

UCOJSSADMIN
New Contributor

Your machines are trying to tell you something.....haha

Sounds like the image you are tying to use is an older build than the new model will run.

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

Yep. What OS build are you laying down? What did the new machines ship with? 10.9.2 is the latest "Universal" build for Mavericks...

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

These machines shipped with 10.7 - Lion...I'm not exactly sure which 10.7...I know there are a couple different updated 10.7s. The image is a Mavericks image. I must need to image with 10.7 huh? Makes sense...

Matt
Valued Contributor

Are you using the InstallESD or a captured image??? The newest 10.9.2 should lay down on that without an issue.

laurendc
New Contributor

I like to keep this bookmarked to check build numbers against models: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1159

From what it sounds like - those machines should be able to run either 10.7 or 10.8. I'm looking at this:

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) Jun 2012 10.7.4 10.7.4, 10.8 11E2068, 11E2617, 12A269, 12C2032,12C2034,12C3103
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) Jun 2012 10.7.3 10.7.4, 10.8 11D2097, 11E2617, 12A269

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Jun 2012 10.7.3 10.7.4, 10.8, 10.9 11D2515, 11E2617, 12A269, 13A603

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2011) Oct 2011 10.7.2 10.7.3 11C74, 11C2002, 11D2001
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011) Oct 2011 10.7.2 10.7.3 11C74, 11C2002, 11D2001
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011) Oct 2011 10.7.2 10.7.3 11C74, 11C2002, 11D2001

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Thanks for all the responses. I am pretty sure this is a captured image. Also, based on that list it looks like it should work. Any thoughts on what might be happening??? I'll keep trying.

laurendc
New Contributor

@jehrke7 Just thought of something - are you imaging via netboot, or booting to external drive, etc. for it? If booting to external, what version OS are you running (on the external)

Matt
Valued Contributor

Maybe the captured image is missing KEXT files?

Have you tried the modular InstallESD way? Pull the App from the App store, extract InstallESD.dmg, drop into Casper, mark as an OS Installer, and you're done. Add you existing files, and compile.

@laurendc - I think he was able to get the image to drop on and its getting the Prohibitory Sign on reboot.

leadtrombone
New Contributor

Have you though about check your firmware? Most of the times when I get this error they have out of date firmware.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1237

Matt
Valued Contributor

Good call @leadtrombone

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

... and for what it's worth, it's a prohibitory sign, but I like no smoking more.

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

@laurendc I am using net boot ...it's the only way I know to image. Matt, I don't believe the image is missing any files because it has worked many times already with other machines...these Pros just aren't playing nice with it. I've never tried using InstallESD ...and also have never even created an image before either. I was trained "how to do the imaging process" without really understanding the intricacies of what I'm actually doing. @leadtrombone I will check on the firmware ...

Thanks everyone!

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

@laurendc Matt is also correct, I'm getting the "prohibitory sign" ;) on reboot.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I would try the Firmware first.

I am a BIG believer in the modular InstallESD approach. If you want more info let me know I can give you a little run down.

jared_ehrke
New Contributor

Hey Matt,
I'd absolutely take that rundown.

Thanks!

Matt
Valued Contributor

1.) Download Mavericks from the App Store
2.) Locate the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" 3.) Control Click -> Show Package Contents
4.) Copy /Contents/Shared Support/InstallESD.dmg to your local drive
5.) Open CasperAdmin
6.) Drop the InstallESD.dmg into CasperAdmin
7.) Double click InstallESD.dmg inside CasperAdmin and click the options tab
8.) Check the checkbox that says "Item is a DMG with an OS X Installer..."
9.) Casper will now see this as an OS install package.
10.) Change the Priority to 1
11.) Add to a Configuration and you are ready to go! If you compile you will need to compile it on an OS 10.9 machine.

Matt
Valued Contributor

I forgot to mention with this setup you can also update by adding Combo updaters into the Configuration and giving them a priority high like 2.

johnnasset
Contributor

I just started using AutoDMG and it's pretty sweet. Drop in the Mavericks installer from the App Store and the program will check for and download any Apple updates to apply to the base image. You can also add other software to the base as you see fit. No more target booting to create base images in Composer or trying to figure out what updates need to be part of the base image to make it current.

https://github.com/MagerValp/AutoDMG

stevewood
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

You can actually skip steps 3, 4, 8, & 10 and just drop the "Install OS X Mavericks.app" file directly into Casper Admin. Casper Admin will rename it to "Install OS X Mavericks.InstallESD.dmg and mark it as an OS installer. You will need to Categorize it in Casper Admin, but that's it.

Matt
Valued Contributor

In my image routine I run softwareupdates -i -a at first reboot so any necessary firmware updates etc are applied.

bkimelman
New Contributor II

Usually the prohibitory sign means you are trying to load an incorrect build on the computer. If the build is older than when the machine was shipped it will usually not work. Also something I've found to help is only use combo updates to ensure you are allowing for the most compatibility of machines.

donna_mckee
New Contributor

I am getting the prohibitory sign also.
These are new macbook pro 10.9.2 I have created my netboot image per these instructions https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=313
Used composer 9.3 to create the DMG Mounted the DMG to my 10.9.2 server and used system imaging to create the NBI file. My MacBook Pro same model as the one I created the netboot image on sees my server (I see the globe) see the NBI file but I get the prohibitory sign after that.
Other things I have tried reinstalling the OS from system restore and following my steps again.
Downloaded 10.9.2 from apple and doing all the steps again.
Used Disk utilities instead of Casper to create my DMG
I have Target Disk mode and by pasted creating and mounting the dmg and used SUI to create the NBI
I have tried booting NFS and HTTP and I do have the diskless option checked.
any other ideas from anyone at this point is greatly appreciated. all of this is 10.9.2 casper 9.3

Chris_Hafner
Valued Contributor II

Here's your problem! https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=9836

I would try skipping composer. I abandoned that some time ago. Either create a .dmg with Disk Utility or run SIU against the machine in target Disk Mode. It's been working great for me and is completely universal.

nigelg
Contributor

Yes agree @Chris_Hafner - its all about the kextcache size discussed on that link. Earlier posts in this thread relate to machines completing the entire imaging process before they show the "no smoking sign" so not sure about that but if the sign comes up after the net boot discovery globe, then its likely the kextcache problem.

wdpickle
Contributor

Do you have a firmware password set through policy? We have, on occasion, gotten a "no smoking sign" on machines after imaging with 10.7. We have a policy that forces down a firmware password. I don't know why, but when we remove the firmware password the machines boots normally. Just a thought