Imaged machines not enrolling

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

[JSS 8.62, Imaging 8.62, OS X 10.8.2 from a 13" Retina MBP]

The punchline is that I'm getting a machine that won't enroll after imaging. Here are the details:

I'm imaging a 13" Retina from behind a Thunderbolt Display (registered as a Removable MAC) with a very basic Configuration for testing purposes. In fact, as of today, it's only got a base OS (an image I built with Composer after doing an Internet Recovery on this laptop and applying all updates). I've set the Configuration to ensure the machine is managed with our standard management account (and create it if it doesn't exist). No additional partitions for now.

The machine was previously managed in the JSS, but I removed it. I booted from an external running 10.8.2 which also has a second partition: a DP Replica (JUST reconciled). I erased the built-in HD with Disk Utility and fired up Imaging. Within Imaging, I set the Target Drive to the built-in HDD and check the Erase box (even though it's empty). I give it a name, select my config, and click Install. It all seems to go alright.

But the imaged machine is not enrolled. I attempt to run the enroll script, and get the error "The file /Library/Preferences/com.jamfsoftware.jamf.plist does not exist. Use the createConf verb to create it." Running Recon from the machine enrolls it just fine.

6 REPLIES 6

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

It seems that imaging from a network distribution point does result in the machine being enrolled properly (same exact config, machine, and routine), while imaging from the replica on an external drive does not. I haven't tested this theory extensively (because imaging from our network DP takes forever at our remote facilities, which is why we started using external replicas). If I can verify, I'll submit it as a bug.

ClassicII
Contributor III

Take a look at the local machines local log. You will be able to see where it failed to enroll. You may get some sort of error there and then have a better idea on what you are looking at.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Try installing a quickadd.pkg from recon post install.

wllieu
New Contributor II

You can add the quickadd package into the configuration in casper admin, make sure the priority is bigger than OS's dmg file. This should enroll the machine after imaging.

JPDyson
Valued Contributor

Ben/Lieu, these are both sufficient work-arounds (which I've already implemented). However, this is not the point, honestly. Casper Imaging is supposed to ensure the machine is managed.

Ryan, the log unfortunately did not reveal much of anything. Manually attempting to run the enrollment script did illustrate the problem with the plist I referenced above. I do not know why it fails when imaging from a replicated repository, but succeeds from the live one.

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Joel, yep it's not pretty.. but it's a workaround until JAMF resolve