Imaging issues with 2017 nontouchbar mac book pros

jbmiller
New Contributor III

I am having an issue where after successfully imaging an mabook pro nontouchbar 13 inch the hard drive is not showing up correctly in disk utility and is not show up as a destination when trying to install any type of software. Instead of the hard drive showing the Macintosh HD partition that was the target of the imaging correctly it shows only the hard drive itself. The machine is bootable after imaging strangely. Targetmode imaging, normal netboot imaging result in this behavior. The only process so far that has worked correctly has been netbooting a machine with the image on an partition and then using diskutility to restore the image to a target disk moded macbook pro. Any suggestions for getting casper imaging to work correctly? e71fd6923c2947d9be431380e8d227eb

7 REPLIES 7

bwiessner
Contributor II

In disk Utility - click the view tab - "show all devices"

Is your image you are laying down HFS+ or APFS?

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

So I'm sure someone else is going to say it, so I'll throw it out there Is Imaging dead?. So with that out of the way, wouldn't it be easier to just install the OS cleanly and then have policies come down as needed? Also, what's the output of a

diskutil list

Do you get more than one container with the image? Are you just using the "Restore" function, or trying to run it with

/usr/sbin/asr

There's a thread here about similar issues. Is this new or something ongoing?

jbmiller
New Contributor III

10cf532e41c342129a87187c82e77842
The image and the destination partition are both Mac OS X Extend (journaled). As for the requisite imaging is dead problem, unfortunately the problem I'm having is with about 50 Mac book pros that are slated for a lab that is used by a ton of college classes over the course of the coming semester. The machines are not DEP and a good bit of the software that is going on them is not in a package form as we do not have the resources in our shop to package everything currently. As we have imaged over 800 machines this summer with this very image so its perplexing that the same workflow of using casper imaging erasing the drive and then laying down the image is not working on just these specific machines. The workflow that seemed to work when no combination of casper imaging/netbooting would work was by doing a restore under the edit menu in disk utility. Here is the output of diskutil list on a freshly imaged machine that is show the HD incorrectly:

easyedc
Valued Contributor II

Simple question may lead to easy answers. What was their is before imaging? Do they need firmware updates from the OS installer?

jbmiller
New Contributor III

They have 10.13.3 out of the box.

bwiessner
Contributor II

What is the image you are laying down? 10.13.6? Did you build it with AutoDMG - was it created recently?

jbmiller
New Contributor III

It was created from scratch last year originally as 10.12 and then upgraded to 10.13.4. I know its not best practice to upgrade instead of rebuilding. We plan to rebuild the image later this fall once mojo comes out. The frustrating thing is that this image has imaged correctly on a ton of various iMac and MacBook Air models already. The Mac book pros are the only ones having this weird imaging behavior.