Inaccurate iOS version Reporting

dwu
New Contributor II

Due to the recent iOS 14.8 update scare, we asked our staff to update their devices yesterday. I created a Smart Device Group with the criteria to search for devices where iOS Version is not 14.8. When I viewed the results, devices that already updated to 14.8 were still showing up. I know this because under Settings->Device Management->Inventory Display I have iOS version checked off.

My issue is why are devices that got updated to 14.8 per the inventory display still showing up when my criteria is searching for not 14.8

7 REPLIES 7

JRCHAVEZ
New Contributor

Have you sent a Update Inventory remote command? I was having the same issue yesterday and that seemed to fix it. 

dwu
New Contributor II

Yes, I have tried that. I sent the Command but the devices won't inventory right away. For example, looking at one right now where I sent the command at 12:32 PM ET today and it is still a Pending Command. It says the "Device was busy. Will try again."

JRCHAVEZ
New Contributor

I found this, one user commented they needed to clear the passcode and that cleared it. I did not have passcodes when I sent the Update Inventory command. 

 

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/device-was-busy-will-try-again/td-p/219667

lrivera
New Contributor

In the past when I’ve used the searches I have always seen the an accurate search result. Sometimes I would refresh the page and would get updated iOS if it had changed  . But now the search has the incorrect results right off the bat.

abrunner
New Contributor III

It doesn't make sense that updating inventory would fix the issue. If Jamf is showing that the device is on 14.8, it means inventory reported that. I feel like this is a bug.

abrunner
New Contributor III

There is definitely something wrong with the query on the backend. I created a smart device group whose criteria is ios Version less than or equal to 14.7.1 and am still getting devices with 14.8 installed.

dwu
New Contributor II

Not a fix but the workaround is to do an Inventory update. I've tested this myself by updating an iPad, then going into JAMF to confirm the device still showed up in the Smart Device Group, and finally doing the inventory update.

This is still bad though. Due to the critical update to 14.8, I had to provide reporting to the business on who did not update their devices yet so management would get on people's cases so if the reporting is inaccurate the information exported out of JAMF needs to be fixed so I'm only sending to management the true devices that never updated.