Inconsistent "The imaging process is finishing installing software" at Imaging

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

We have found inconsistent "The imaging process is finishing installing software" display curtain at imaging on our testing MackBook Pro.

Instead we get the Apple ID window and it stays up until the imaging process finishes.

Mainly this happens if the computer is not in the inventory.

JSS: 8.62

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

It is not the User Template files causing the issue at Imaging. It is because jamfhelper wouldn't run reliably.
We have a workaround posted by nkalister which forces jamfhelper to run at reboot during imaging.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4831#responseChild23955

I have packaged this postflight script and gave it priority 1 and ticked "This package must be installed to the boot volume at imaging time" to make it run at reboot.

#!/bin/sh
## postflight
##
## Not supported for flat packages.

pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

## Lock down the login window
/usr/sbin/jamf launchJAMFHelper -path '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app'

I hope JAMF developers will get what's causing this issue and fix it in the next release.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

I'm seeing the same with 10.8.2 from the App Store. Using JSS 8.61 on an 2007 iMac, but NOT on an MacPro attached to a small screen.

I even tried deploying the apple setup plist to hide the iCloud prompt.

Is your MacBook Pro attached to a monitor?

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

No. Not attached to an external monitor.

Mine is OS X 10.8.2 from App Store and JSS 8.62

bentoms

Hmm... Retina MBP?

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

Nope. MacBook Pro 13" (2011). But it seems to work as expected when the machine is already in the inventory.

andrew_stenehje
Contributor

http://managingosx.wordpress.com/2012/07/26/mountain-lion-suppress-apple-id-icloud-prompt/

I ran the command (defaults write /System/Library/User Template/English.lproj/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SetupAssistant.plist LastSeenCloudProductVersion -string 10.8) on the setup assistant files in the User Templates and added empty loginwindow files (com.apple.loginwindow.plist and loginwindow.plist). After doing this, I didn't have the same problem anymore.

bentoms

@Kumarasinghe,

Just returning to this, for me it seems to not work if a Mac is already on the JSS & we're deploying 10.8.2

@Andrew,

Yep we deploy a copy of the plist.. the adobe install account now logs right in.

Kumarasinghe
Valued Contributor

It is not the User Template files causing the issue at Imaging. It is because jamfhelper wouldn't run reliably.
We have a workaround posted by nkalister which forces jamfhelper to run at reboot during imaging.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4831#responseChild23955

I have packaged this postflight script and gave it priority 1 and ticked "This package must be installed to the boot volume at imaging time" to make it run at reboot.

#!/bin/sh
## postflight
##
## Not supported for flat packages.

pathToScript=$0
pathToPackage=$1
targetLocation=$2
targetVolume=$3

/usr/sbin/jamf launchJAMFHelper -path '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app'

I hope JAMF developers will get what's causing this issue and fix it in the next release.

tnielsen
Valued Contributor

9.21 and I believe I am having this issue.

laurendc
New Contributor

@tnielsen][/url I also have it with 8.73.

Tried the @nkalister][/url solution which increased the success rate of it for us but would sometimes result in the jamfHelper screen staying up there even after all first run scripts completed themselves. I might try it again someday but add something at the end of the first run process to kill jamfHelper so that the screen goes away when the process completes itself.

apizz
Valued Contributor

I'm now seeing this issue again with 9.73 Imaging. The only thing that has changed in my process is the number of computers I'm imaging at a time. I went from 2 at a time to 4 and all of sudden I'm getting several computers that boot to the Adobe temporary install account and do nothing instead of finishing the post image installs.

endor-moon
Contributor II

I'm seeing this as well but it doesn't bother as much as the terrible grammar in the message itself: "finishing installing"? Ugh. I guess not everyone has the spelling/grammar gene. ;)

I'm using Casper 9.7.3 and the problem is intermittent. It is only a cosmetic problem as the reboot after Adobe installer stuff still happens.

apizz
Valued Contributor

What would actually be awesome if there was some kind of verbose "imaging process finishing" screen that showed you what it was doing behind the scenes, rather than just being static. I hate not knowing what's going on!

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

I hear Patchoo Deploy! does something comparable to that, @aporlebeke, but I haven't test it out myself. Something verbose would be awesome.

To the matter at hand… this is happening in our environment with 9.73 as well. Seems to happen more often for VMs I build (for testing or what-have-you) than physical machines, but I can't seem to find out why this happens or what the difference is between the machines/VMs that don't launch the jamfHelper.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

RobertHammen
Valued Contributor II

I have talked the ears off people at JAMF re: Casper Imaging and the black installation screen, and needing some way to see what is actually going on. Upvoted the FR.

jhalvorson
Valued Contributor

Still seeing this issue when building 10.11.4. Recently update the JSS to 9.91 (up from 9.82) and the netboot image has been update with Casper Imaging 9.91.

I even update the updated the script/pkg to work with the new location for the JAMF binary.

#!/bin/bash

# This helps ensure that the Full Screen JAMFhelper is displayed after Casper Imaging
# REF:  https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=4831#responseChild23955
# REF:  https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/discussion.html?id=10297#responseChild57665

# Updated to support JAMF location change that begin with version 9.8
# REF: https://derflounder.wordpress.com/2015/09/24/path-environment-variables-and-casper-9-8/

CheckBinary (){

# Identify location of jamf binary.

jamf_binary=`/usr/bin/which jamf`

if [[ "$jamf_binary" == "" ]] && [[ -e "/usr/sbin/jamf" ]] && [[ ! -e "/usr/local/bin/jamf" ]]; then
    jamf_binary="/usr/sbin/jamf"
 elif [[ "$jamf_binary" == "" ]] && [[ ! -e "/usr/sbin/jamf" ]] && [[ -e "/usr/local/bin/jamf" ]]; then
    jamf_binary="/usr/local/bin/jamf"
 elif [[ "$jamf_binary" == "" ]] && [[ -e "/usr/sbin/jamf" ]] && [[ -e "/usr/local/bin/jamf" ]]; then
    jamf_binary="/usr/local/bin/jamf"
 fi
}

# Run the CheckBinary function to identify the location
# of the jamf binary for the jamf_binary variable.

CheckBinary

$jamf_binary launchJAMFHelper -path '/Library/Application Support/JAMF/bin/jamfHelper.app'

RogerH
Contributor II

@jhalvorson I have seen this too however it seems to only happen to newer macbook pro's with the newer SSD's. I find that the system is booting so fast that jamfhelper fails to run and it logs into the desktop of the adobeinstall account and then runs normally but just no black screen.

mapurcel
Contributor III

I'm also starting to see this now that I've upgraded to 9.91

mulcahyaudio
New Contributor

i am on 9.96 and still seeing this exact same issue on OS 10.12.2

jkeller13
New Contributor III

Same issues here as well. Casper 9.96 and OS 10.10.5/10.11.6/10.12.2

I am going to try the post flight script in our environment since this has been plaguing our Training Room's auto rebuild process. Thank you so much!