Install MDM profile via API?

PhillyPhoto
Valued Contributor

Is it possible to use the API to install a configuration profile on to a device? We have a network profile that has to be manually installed by our techs as they're setting up the machines. If I can run a policy that has a script that runs an API call to install it that would cut down on some workload. The profile is scoped to domain membership of the device, and it can't be an automatic install since right now the AD cert inside the profile only lasts 1 year and we need to let techs remove it in Self Service and reinstall it to get a new one every year (don't get me started on this, this is being worked on already). I looked at /v1/mdm/commands but got "[ ]" returned when I ran it. And /v2/mdm/commands gives me a 400 error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

The direct answer to your question is no. You could export the profile and give it to your techs to install but that is a VERY bad idea.

Even if you could install a config profile with API, the same issues that make you have your techs manually install the configuration profile would still exist. Domain binding being a bad idea aside, there seem to be some fundamental  issues with your environment that need to be addressed. Your situation sounds crazy enough to be something my employer would do lol.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

The direct answer to your question is no. You could export the profile and give it to your techs to install but that is a VERY bad idea.

Even if you could install a config profile with API, the same issues that make you have your techs manually install the configuration profile would still exist. Domain binding being a bad idea aside, there seem to be some fundamental  issues with your environment that need to be addressed. Your situation sounds crazy enough to be something my employer would do lol.