Install newest MacOS from Recovery

Andixon
Contributor

Is there any way to directly install the newest MacOS from the Recovery Mode for Macs with ARM chip? For example: I have an M2 Pro MacBook Pro that is currently on MacOS Ventura. Now I want to set it up for a new user, but if I delete the HD and reboot it in recovery I still can only install Ventura. I would have to install Ventura, Update to Monterey and then go through the whole process again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

This process has not changed in a very long time.

If you delete the OS partition do one of the following:

• You use Internet Recovery to install whatever version of macOS is on the recovery partition (usually the version the device shipped with) then update to the current version.
  • You use a flash drive with whatever supported version of macOS you want, boot from that flash drive and install the desired version of macOS.
  • You use DFU mode with another mac that has a .ipsw file with your desired OS and install macOS.

Apple has documentation on each of these methods, and there are plenty of guides on google.

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (IE) / Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (IE)

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

This process has not changed in a very long time.

If you delete the OS partition do one of the following:

• You use Internet Recovery to install whatever version of macOS is on the recovery partition (usually the version the device shipped with) then update to the current version.
  • You use a flash drive with whatever supported version of macOS you want, boot from that flash drive and install the desired version of macOS.
  • You use DFU mode with another mac that has a .ipsw file with your desired OS and install macOS.

Apple has documentation on each of these methods, and there are plenty of guides on google.

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support (IE) / Use macOS Recovery on a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support (IE)

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

piotrr
Contributor III

Before Apple Silicon, you could hold down Option-Command-R on startup, but as you know that's not how you enter recovery on Apple Silicon. Recovery will install the current version.