Installing Apple's Java Update

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

Hello All, I am trying to push the latest version of Java that Apple released just a few days ago. I thought it would be enough for me to download the .dmg from apple, remove the .pkg file and drop that into composer and make a new .dmg file.

When I assign this to a machine and check the logs after a while, it appears to have run, but Java doesn't appear to be on the machine. If I check the Jave Preferences in Utilities, I then get prompted to run download and install Java from Apple.

What am I doing wrong?

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You don't want to do it that way. If you don't have an internal Apple Software Update server you can point your Macs to, just upload the package install file inside the DMG you download into Casper Admin. Don't try to re-package it in another DMG. DMG packages from Composer won't auto run a pkg inside them. Likely all it did was dump the pkg at the root level of the hard drive.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

You don't want to do it that way. If you don't have an internal Apple Software Update server you can point your Macs to, just upload the package install file inside the DMG you download into Casper Admin. Don't try to re-package it in another DMG. DMG packages from Composer won't auto run a pkg inside them. Likely all it did was dump the pkg at the root level of the hard drive.

tkimpton
Valued Contributor II

There does seem to be a problem with the update.

I enabled them in my sus

I had software update automatically running at night when machines power on for maintenance scripts.

A developer went nuts at me saying "why have you uninstalled java!"

I looked at the machine and could see the java runtime missing popup!

I then ran a software update and this time it successfully installs.

Hmmmmm Apple not testing again. Now where's that wet Kipper!

Sonic84
Contributor III

Apple's Java update package has some unique properties when it comes the java plugin and web browser: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572

About Java for OS X 2012-005 Java for OS X 2012-005 delivers improved security, reliability, and compatibility by updating Java SE 6 to 1.6.0_35. This update configures the Java plug-in to deactivate when no applets are run for an extended period of time. If the prior update named "Java for OS X 2012-004" was not installed, this update will disable the Java web plug-in immediately. Java applets may be re-enabled by clicking the region labeled "Inactive plug-in" on a web page. Please quit any web browsers and Java applications before installing this update. SHA1 = e0750c72972b8a2ccbcb3144bb31d74419276387 See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5367 for more details about this update. See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222 for information about the security content of this update.

joemamasmac
New Contributor III

Thanks for the replies everyone. Dragging the .pkg file out of the Apple .dmg installer and adding that to casper did the trick.

While we do run our own SUS, we wanted Java installed on all new images and this allowed me to create a policy to push to all Mac OS-X 10.7.X machines.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Joe

rockpapergoat
Contributor III

rather than dump the pkg into the jss, i just run a policy that uses softwareupdate to install the java update:

for 10.6.8:
softwareupdate -i JavaForMacOSX10.6-10.0

by specifying just the product id, it should do the job. i just have something that uses a different product id based on os version. the id for 10.7 and 10.8 has remained the same across all java updates, as far as i can tell. it's more portable.