Installing JDS

xDunes
New Contributor

We created a test ubuntu VM (Production will most likely RHEL) just to play with JSS/JDS before setting up production. Following instructions we got JSS up and running, generated self signed cert then ran JDS install. Looking at the output everything seems to have worked fine, I pasted the output below. When we launch Casper Admin I get an error that it can't connect to the JDS. I tried to use a browser to go to https://DEV-CASPER/CasperShareDAV and received 404 Not Found error. It shows up in in JSS as a Master DP. What am I missing?

P.S. JSS and JDS are on the same server.

sudo ./JDS-Linux-Installer-9.52.run
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing JDS Installer..........
Starting the JDS Installation
Checking installation requirements...
Checking for a supported Linux OS...Ubuntu 14.04 found
Checking for a 64-bit OS...OK
Passed all requirements checking!
Creating JDS directory structure
Installing apache...
Enabling ssl...
Configuring site...
Restarting apache...
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing JDS API Installer........
Starting JDS API Installation
Installing php...
Copying API files
Enabling rewrite...
Writing API RewriteRule...
Disabling Idexes on API
Restarting apache...
Finished deploying the JDS API application
##### Enter JDS and JSS information #####
JDS Hostname: DEV-CASPER
JSS URL: https://192.168.1.50:8443
JSS Username: jss
JSS Password:
Allow untrusted SSL certificate? (y/n): y

Installed and enrolled successfully * Restarting web server apache2

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi @xDunes][/url][/url][/url

I see “Ubuntu 14.04 found” in the text above, which may be contributing to the issues that you’re seeing.

Currently, and I’m being perfectly honest here, we have a few open defects specifically around the JDS and Ubuntu 14.04. Most center around the fact that, at the moment, the JDS has some critical incompatibilities with the version of Apache that ships with Ubuntu 14.04 and it renders it essentially inoperable.

Based on your post, it sounds like you’re hitting a combination of or all of these:

D-007731 - With this we see, in Ubuntu 14.04 environments, that /usr/local/jds/shares/.DAVlogin is missing. This will lead to a situation in which no credentials will work to mount the share.

D-007732 - With this, we see that if the JDS is installed under Ubuntu 14.04, /usr/local/jds/conf/apache_aliases.conf is missing.

D-007527 - If our JDS is on an Ubuntu 14.04 host, it is not possible to download packages from /CasperShare/<packagename>. It may not connect at all, or we may see a 404 message if we are able to connect.

Unfortunately, we don’t have any real viable workarounds for any of these that don’t involve still being able to use Ubuntu 14.04 right now.
Development is very aware of this, and these defects are all being actively worked on but, for the moment, it may not actually be possible to get a JDS working properly with Ubuntu 14.04 as the OS.

The above defects are specific to Ubuntu 14.04 and do not affect older, listed compatible in our documentation versions of Ubuntu.

We may need to go to a different version of Ubuntu or use a Mac for the JDS until the above issues are wrapped up and fixed in future releases.

It’s not anything you’re doing wrong in this case, this one is very likely all on us, and I do apologize for the inconvenience there. We know this particular set of issues is creating a lot of problems for some of our users.

If you have more questions on it or want to set up some time to get a different JDS going with your Technical Account Manager, please feel free to give them a call, send an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or use the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

were_wulff
Valued Contributor II

Hi @xDunes][/url][/url][/url

I see “Ubuntu 14.04 found” in the text above, which may be contributing to the issues that you’re seeing.

Currently, and I’m being perfectly honest here, we have a few open defects specifically around the JDS and Ubuntu 14.04. Most center around the fact that, at the moment, the JDS has some critical incompatibilities with the version of Apache that ships with Ubuntu 14.04 and it renders it essentially inoperable.

Based on your post, it sounds like you’re hitting a combination of or all of these:

D-007731 - With this we see, in Ubuntu 14.04 environments, that /usr/local/jds/shares/.DAVlogin is missing. This will lead to a situation in which no credentials will work to mount the share.

D-007732 - With this, we see that if the JDS is installed under Ubuntu 14.04, /usr/local/jds/conf/apache_aliases.conf is missing.

D-007527 - If our JDS is on an Ubuntu 14.04 host, it is not possible to download packages from /CasperShare/<packagename>. It may not connect at all, or we may see a 404 message if we are able to connect.

Unfortunately, we don’t have any real viable workarounds for any of these that don’t involve still being able to use Ubuntu 14.04 right now.
Development is very aware of this, and these defects are all being actively worked on but, for the moment, it may not actually be possible to get a JDS working properly with Ubuntu 14.04 as the OS.

The above defects are specific to Ubuntu 14.04 and do not affect older, listed compatible in our documentation versions of Ubuntu.

We may need to go to a different version of Ubuntu or use a Mac for the JDS until the above issues are wrapped up and fixed in future releases.

It’s not anything you’re doing wrong in this case, this one is very likely all on us, and I do apologize for the inconvenience there. We know this particular set of issues is creating a lot of problems for some of our users.

If you have more questions on it or want to set up some time to get a different JDS going with your Technical Account Manager, please feel free to give them a call, send an e-mail to support@jamfsoftware.com, or use the My Support section of JAMF Nation.

Thanks!

Amanda Wulff
JAMF Software Support

emilh
New Contributor III

Any updates on this?
We're Ubuntu 14.04 LTS server side and currently we're stuck with a semi-broken JDS for file distribution.

Provided OS X server is not an option, what would be JAMFs recommendation?

Ubuntu Server 12.04?

Andy_McCaskill
Contributor

I don't know if this is related but I am running into a similar issue in which I am trying to update the JDS on a 14.04 host as well. The output error during the upgrade is this;

OSError - [Errno 2] No such file or directory

check /usr/local/jds/logs/jamf.log for more information.

Re-enter data and attempt to enroll again? (y/n):

I will be putting up a OSX JDS in the meantime.