Installs in Self Service never finish

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

Hi

Not sure what the deal is, I was just doing some testing of policies in Self Service, and noticed that the never seem to finish. You can see the progress bar download the dmg or pkg. then it changes to "Running Policy "example"' and there is sits....any ideas? I thought it was my new packages I made, but it is doing it with older policies with older packages from last year too.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

Got it, we have been having issues with the "Device Signature error", and the few machines I had here in my shop had that error, so once we re-enrolled them, now Self Service works....sorry for the "mostly" unnecessary post! Time to go home yet....

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

emily
Valued Contributor III
Valued Contributor III

Out of curiosity, what's your standard setup for the Self Service policies (execution, scope, install vs cache, etc.)? And do you have it update inventory in the policy as well?

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

What JSS version are you on?

I've seen this happen where the DP didn't cleanly unmount during a past policy and then when it attempts to remount for a new policy it hangs since it can't mount something that is already mounted. A ```
sudo ls -a /Volumes/
``` should show you whether or not you've got something like that going on.

If you are on 9.3x or earlier I've seen inventory updates that hang indefinitely in self service cause this behavior. If you're on 9.4 your inventory updates happen in the background so that wouldn't come into play here.

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

I just have it install the package or dmg (not cache), No updating inventory. Very basic. Most of these are items they just go to and click on and it installs. We are running 9.32.

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

If it is consistently hanging across multiple workstations then you may want to investigate the availability of your distribution point(s). Can you successfully get packages to install via Casper Remote?

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

No lingering Distribution point issue, thanks for the tip @jasonaswell

steventhemacman
New Contributor III

Got it, we have been having issues with the "Device Signature error", and the few machines I had here in my shop had that error, so once we re-enrolled them, now Self Service works....sorry for the "mostly" unnecessary post! Time to go home yet....

NowAllTheTime
Contributor III

Sweet! Glad things are working again :)