Intermittently failing to mount Casper Share...

Sean_Ginn
New Contributor II

Running into an issue where our policy installs are failing left and right unless, we are logged into a local admin. Looking at the policy logs, in the JSS it appears that the Casper Share is failing to mount unless you are logged into a local admin. Any ideas?

We are running the latest version of JSS, and mounting the casper share prior to attempting a policy install doesn't seem to resolve the issue. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, to the failures and it doesn't appear to be falling every time.

7 REPLIES 7

millersc
Valued Contributor

Seen similar failures in 8.x. in VM. With 9.31/Server 10.8.5 using SMB I've seen a lot less now. What is the host server?

Sean_Ginn
New Contributor II

Currently running latest version of 10.9 and on a brand new Mac Pro.

Sean_Ginn
New Contributor II

Also running 9.31

mbuckner
Contributor

We've had this problem since upgrading to 10.9. For us, Mavericks is sometimes having DNS issues. Our JSS is called casper. Some of our clients have trouble connecting to smb://casper/caspershare. If we change casper (in the jss) to the fqdn, things work much better.

Sean_Ginn
New Contributor II

@mbuckner I have made sure that the FQDN is correct in DNS, I am going to see if the issue has resolved itself and then i'll post any further info. Just a side note, we don't have SMB turned on only AFP. Could that possibly resolve any issues?

bentoms
Release Candidate Programs Tester

@Sean_Ginn, Is the server hosting the CasperShare bound to AD & do your users have read privileges to the share?

I'm guessing it's failing under their account as they can't mount the share.

You can either give users read access or try HTTP/S.

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@bentoms +1 for getting away from AFP/SMB.

--
https://donmontalvo.com