iOS deploying preferences

bkimelman
New Contributor II

With the ability to push preferences through MDM solutions, has anyone figured out a way to push out preferences like a server address or anything of that nature through an MDM profile?

8 REPLIES 8

rickgmac
Contributor

You need to do this as part of the App.

Make the app a managed app and add preferences in that section.

Just like the KB - Manually Deploying Self Service Mobile for iOS
https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/article.html?id=370

bkimelman
New Contributor II

@rickgmac thank you for your response. I did see that article and this is sorta what started the whole thought process. Basically what I am trying to do is deploy the FileMaker iOS app from the IOS app store but deploy it with a configuration of a preferred or favorite host already configured in the same notion that the JSS is configured in the article you linked above. Adding a FileMaker server to the list of favorite hosts so it wouldn't have to be manually inputed.

reon
Contributor

@bkimelman hi there, we are on the same boat.
I'm also looking for a solution to deploy FileMaker Go on iOS with host configured.

Did you managed to find out the workaround?

dwaterbury
New Contributor III

I’m currently looking for a solution to this. Did anyone figure out if it’s possible?

dwaterbury
New Contributor III

I wound up adding a web clip that pointed to the filemaker server database. This opens up Safari, which then prompts to open in Filemaker Go 16. It's an extra step, but works and Filemaker Go then can be opened directly after that, which will save the most recent database.

AVmcclint
Honored Contributor

I remember learning about this in my Jamf200 class and they pointed us to the Jamf Marketplace to see if app developers have shared their App Config info. I found the apps, but I can't seem to find the details for the apps.

elacroix
New Contributor

@dwaterbury the web clip is a great option to get one, two, or three databases - but it's "giving a man a fish" instead of "teaching him to fish" because the end user can't easily just tap Hosts, then see the server in the list and the other databases they could open. Hopefully FileMaker is working on releasing some useful App Config info that will allow us to do things like add a host, disable the option to add OTHER hosts or remove the host we have added, deploy databases to the iPad locally, etc. The company is working hard to get noticed for the enterprise and education spaces, and mass deployment options would be appreciated. Perhaps in the meantime, in the case of multiple databases, we could just make a small hosted "launcher" database that has links to the other files, and send out the web clip for just the launcher?

reon
Contributor

@dwaterbury mind to share how you did it?