ios policy order of precedence?

nelsonpark
New Contributor III

i havent been able to find the answer as yet regarding ios policies and their order of precedence. eg what overwrites what.
if i have an ipad in a static group and apply a config profile to that static group that for example disables the app store. if that device then gets scoped in say a smart group that enables the app store...which policy takes precedence
1. the smart group overrides the static group
2. the static was scoped first so it applies
3. which ever policy applies last by date order
4. some other possibility

i dont really know....another example could be setting the lock screen background. if it is scoped from different config profiles does it simply keep switching around, which ever one was last applied? i see that lockscreens are an odd example as they are applied as a once off setting and then scheduled to reoccur. this could further highlight the possibility of rolling lock screens

1 REPLY 1

jared_f
Valued Contributor

@nocor From my experience:

Restriction Profiles: From my understanding, the more restrictive profile always takes precedence over the less restrictive profile. In your instance, the static group would take precedence over the smart group because the smart group is less restrictive.

Wallpapers: Wallpapers aren't really a restriction, it is more of a setting applied on the device. So, anytime a new wallpaper is scoped out to the device it will set. I don't know why you would be scoping out two different wallpapers to your devices though. Have you taken a look into the automated management of wallpapers? Every time the device checks in it will change the wallpaper back to the image you define. The user can change the wallpaper (you can restrict this via a profile - it does not interfere with the automated management of wallpapers) whenever they feel like it, but it will just change back on check-in.

Jared