iPad 4th Generation (Wi-Fi) - Data Migration issue

spif_spaceman
New Contributor III

Good afternoon all.

We have a technology instructor that has an ipad that was originally set up with Apple Configurator. Its a iPad 4th Generation (Wi-Fi) model. We would like to create an encrypted backup with iTunes. We have tried using the macbook that has configurator installed on it to migrate him to a new ipad model. (Air 2)

The issue is that after the restore completes, the new ipad air 2 doesn't direct him to the Enrollment page, so then the activated ipad air 2 doesn't get assigned to him in JSS, and leaves all the fields in "User and Location" blank.

Any ideas? I'm still getting familiar with the JSS, so if you guys need more info, I will update this post. Thanks for any tips.

3 REPLIES 3

belldesean
New Contributor III

This has happened to iPads that we are not ready to enroll in JSS yet. This is how we remedied this situation.

1. Log into JSS and search for device by serial number
  2. Click on the name
  3. Make sure that only one iPad is showing in the results
  4. Click “delete” ; “red” delete again
  5. Go to Pre-Stage enrollment
  6. Click on iPad enrollment profile
  7. Click on Scope
  8. Search by Serial number
  9. Click edit
  10. Un-check box on the left side of the Serial number/device
  11. Click Save
  12. Reset the iPad in Settings on iPad
  13. iPad is ready for regular AC setup
  14. Add iPad information to “iPads that need to be re-enrolled in JSS” spreadsheet

Hope this helps!

belldesean
New Contributor III

After re-reading your initial post, what I said is probably not the solution you were seeking. Sorry about that...good luck!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor III

Is the iPad enrolled into the JSS after this process? It sounds like it isn't because you were expecting it to be at an enrollment page. I recommend that you supervise with DEP which then takes care of the enrollment.

I haven't done these steps in awhile.. But I think if you have a PreStage that enrolls into DEP and allows the iTunes restore prompt, that might work, as it is a restore to a different device. Same device restores act differently.