iPad Dock Layout Configuration Profile prevents user to organise apps

tsossong
New Contributor III

Hi community,

I just realised a side effect of having a Dock Layout Config Profile on mobile devices. On our teacher devices we dont restrict installing, deleting or moving apps around. But for better usability we run a Config Profile that moves Self Service into the dock. So far so good but it seems this policy prevents users from deleting or moving apps. It just dont go to "wiggly-mode" after pressing an app-icon for several seconds. As soon as the policy is disabled the moving is possible again.

2 REPLIES 2

fsjjeff
Contributor II

Same thing here - seems like config profiles are all or nothing, both on iPad and Mac. There is no way to choose "I want this setting once, but then allow the user to change it after". What I've done is create a setup script that loads the icon layout on first setup, but then allows the user to change it. Look at the cfgutil command line utility (installed from Configurator) for info on this, but basically it lets you build json lists of apps and where you want them. You can also export a json file from an already setup iPad to give yourself a starting template.

nelsonpark
New Contributor III

It's likely an inherrant Apple restriction but I agree that there are a page of apps on our front screen that I would like to match between student and teacher. What happens beyond that for teachers I don't care, but logic would say they should be able to move and delete apps on the non-managed pages for non-specified apps. Fingers are crossed for Apple changes in ios11